1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to initialize device - CMD PRINT/D:\\

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by CastleHeart, Nov 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CastleHeart

CastleHeart Thread Starter

Hey,

I print to device from the CMD window daily. PRINT/D:\\

I got notice from AVG that C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\mrxsmb.sys was infected with:
    Trojan horse Agent_r.ASR
    Maybe it was coincidence or maybe not - but it was that day (or the next day) that I could no longer print to device

I replaced/removed the infected file and checked the computer for other infestations and it found none. But
    I still cannot print via CMD. :(

NET USE \\myPC entered in the CMD screen shows both printers recognized - although it finishes the task with the line
    COMMAND COMPLETED WITH ONE OR MORE ERRORS. :confused: I can print to each printer via windows and test pages.
    But attempts to print via print/D:\\printer address just returns a CANNOT INITIALIZE DEVICE

I - - N E E D - - to print certain things this way and it has worked fine for years -
    so if'n you have some good idears..... I'm all ears !!!

- Castleheart

I'm a poet....
    ... and I was not cognizant of the fact!

2. Rockn

Rockn

mrxsmb.sys is probably compromised by the virus so unless you can clean up that particular issue you are probably out of luck printing. Have you tried a system restore to a point before the infection?

3. CastleHeart

I replaced the mrxsmb.sys with another from my second boot disc D. It still didn't work. Then I tried booting from D drive to see if its registry allowed me to print. No Joy!

Currently my PC has been swept by AVG with no meanies found - my restore points have been wiped
    and a new one for today saved.

But another wrinkle cropped up - a website from whom I regularly print a label will not print to
    my label printer - whether the printer setup is set to spool or send directly to the printer. And yet I can
    have the website print-to-browser which pops up as an .asp file and then print that output to that printer
    and it prints. It just won't print directly. :confused:

- CH

4. Rockn

Rockn

The free AVG is next to useless for a lot of stuff out there, especially rootkits. MS Security Essentials does a far better job. Anyway, will it print by IP address \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\printername

5. CastleHeart

Naw.... just says it can't initialize device \\x.x.x.\printer

6. CastleHeart

OK... the saga continues

I must say investigating this has been strange.
    I have used PRINT TO DEVICE ie: Print/D:\\myPC\myPrinter c:\filename.txt
    for several years to print the output file of a progam to a ZEBRA printer with no problems. I never really knew what it is doing exactly but that wasn't an issue till now.

So follow me here:

I realized that I had an XP laptop at home that had that printer as an installed shared printer. So that night I tried a Print /D:\\ on that computer using the appropriate pathway names - and it printed to the printer (log) fine !!!!! ;) Soooo...... I took it to work to print with it till I fix my problem - only to find at work it does not print but says UNABLE TO INITIALIZE DEVICE. Well... DAMN! :mad:

So I took it home and guess what? It printed to the printer again! :eek: So it prints there but not at work - even though in neither case is it really connected to a printer (at home it just spools up the file where it resides as a pending file for the printer later).
    Understand that I am doing nothing to the laptop other than walking in the door at home and saying PRINT and then walking in the door of my office and saying PRINT ! No connections - no other fiddling - just saying PRINT /D:\\ !!!!

What is changing? The only thing is that once carried into my home, it acknowledges my WiFi connection. But that should have nothing to do with nothing, right? Well turn off my WiFi router and try to print and the laptop FAILS TO INITIALIZE DEVICE. Turn it back on and the laptop spools the file off to the unconnected printer!

THEN .... Carry the laptop to work and plug it into the actual printer and it prints the queued file. But of course, it will no longer PRINT/D:\\ now until it is home and recognizes the WiFi connection. So What the Hey is happening here cause I am lost. The path to print is not to the WiFi - only to my PC\PRINTER (PRINT/D:\laptopname\printername C:\filename.txt). And at work I never had a WiFi connection and my PC there has printed fine till now.

So does anyone out there know what is really going on when using the PRINT TO DEVICE in the CMD window? If so I would sure like to understand it. Why will my laptop not INITIALIZE DEVICE when it seems as though the PRINT/D:\\Laptopname\printername command SHOULD have nothing to do with whether or not I am connected to my wireless router - yet is surely cares!

I need to figure it out and fix it.

- CH :(

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!