1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to install after windows 2008 R2 server

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ckiran04, Oct 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ckiran04

ckiran04 Thread Starter

For testing i have used a one month trial version of windows 2008 R2 server.
    Now i need format that windows 2008 R2 version and install XP sp2 over it. when i am trying to install it , with out any boot from Cd option it is directly jumping to 2008 server OS. can some one help me in solving this issue.

Thanks in advance.

2. Rockn

Rockn

Set the BIOS boot order to CD first.

3. ckiran04

ckiran04 Thread Starter

hey i have tried that. i am getting prompt boot from Cd. but when i press the button ENTER. It is stating my 2008 R2 server.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Does the keyboard work at that point? Where did the CD come from?

Try setting legacy or other USB settings in the BIOS setup. If you have a PS/2 jack to try a different keyboard, try that.

5. ckiran04

ckiran04 Thread Starter

i am using external hard disk. actually i am having this issue with 2 PC 's

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

You are trying to install from an external? You need to boot from the external in order to use it for installation, right? So the machine boots from the external and you get the "Press Any Key" prompt, but it doesn't respond when you press a key? Is that it?

7. ckiran04

ckiran04 Thread Starter

8. ckiran04

ckiran04 Thread Starter

yeah, i tried that. kept Cd rom as first boot device and it is showing option press any key to boot from Cd

When i pressed enter . it is not booting from CD . it is going to server 2008 os.

Is there any issue like bios will be overwritten by windows 2008. that is not allowing XP to boot.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Windows does not change BIOS.

Are you booting from CD or the external drive?

How is the external drive involved in this? I thought you said that you were booting from the external.

Try other keys besides the <Enter> key. And check BIOS settings for legacy USB or other settings that may affect whether the mouse and keyboard are working on that screen.

Do you have a floppy drive? If you do, you can start XP from a floppy. If not, you can start it from a boot CD that loads DOS (easiest if you have 2 optical drives, but not needed if you load DOS to a ramdisk).

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024393

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice