Unable to install grub in dummy

tbt88

After previously installing my debian os, when I try to install it now (after having reinstalled windows over it, thus erasing debian), I am getting "GRUB" failure, error messages. How do I fix?

"Unable to install grub in dummy" - "executing grub-install dummy failed"

I am trying to install debian gnome 9 and getting
--- unable to install grub in dummy
--- executing grub-install dummy failed
--- fatal error

I have tried to reinstall debian gnome three times and the same message appears each time. I also tried to install debian cinnamon 9 and got the same message. I've read about other people having the same problem, but of no help.

I am not trying to have a dual boot, rather reinstall debian over windows.

When I boot into the computer, I only have 3 options:
  1. enter setup​
  2. livedvd​
  3. debian​
Whether I choose debian, or livedvd and reinstall, I end up with the same black screen with the following... At the top of the page it states:

"minimal bash......."

And underneath the only thing there is
Looks like I am supposed to type something after grub>.

I have no linux os installed.

Appreciate any help as I am at a standstill.

Last edited:

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Run Debian livedvd and use Gparted to delete all the partitions on the drive then try the install again.

Miqw7394

Mike
I have to concur with Allan.

If you've tried multiple re-installs, one over the top of each other, you will by now have made a complete, total hash of your MBR.

The only solution to this will be a thorough wipe/erase/ re-format, followed by a clean re-install. Otherwise, you are going to have left-over remnants of Windoze getting in the way of a functioning boot-loader.

Download the gParted LiveCD from here:-

https://downloads.sourceforge.net/gparted/gparted-live-1.1.0-5-i686.iso

(That's a direct download link, BTW.) Burn this to a clean optical disc, if you have an optical drive. If not, use something like Rufus to 'burn' it to a flash-drive.

Then, you boot into it, since this is a small, self-contained OS, specifically set-up for working with disks & file-systems. From here, you can erase & re-format your HDD, prior to a clean re-install of Debian. gParted allows a wipe/re-build of your MBR during the re-format process; I would recommend making use of this option while you're at it.

Mike. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online