1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to install MS Office Home and Student 2007

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by wascawywabbit, Apr 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wascawywabbit

wascawywabbit Thread Starter

I'm hoping to get some help installing MS Office Home and Student 2007. about 4/5ths of the way thru installation, I'm encountering the following error message:

"Error 1311. Source file not found: E:\SKU112.CAB. Verify that the file exists and that you can access it."

I have no clue what this means, please help! Thanks in advance!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

You get the same error with both programs? I wasn't aware that there was an MS Office Home edition. Are you sure that is what it is called?

Is the CD scratched or dirty?

3. wascawywabbit

Yup, it's called Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007, I just bought it today, the disk is brand new. It's a suite including Word 2007, Excel 2007, Powerpoint 2007, and something called OneNote 2007. The sales rep said the only difference between this and the standard suite is it doesn't have Outlook, which I don't want anyway. I put the disk in, and it starts to install, but then it gets stuck and gives me this error message. I gets stuck in the same spot each time too.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Search the CD and see if SKU112.CAB is on it.

If not, maybe you are choosing an option for the setup that is not included with your package. Are you using the default setup or choosing custom options?

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. I'm assuming that after you got that error, you cancelled and the installer rolled back the changes it had made so nothing was installed, right?

If that is right, then try the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility and look to see if your new program is listed. If it is, remove it.

Do you have any previous versions of Office installed already?

6. wascawywabbit

SKU112.CAB is not on the CD. I had the option of "update" or "custom" for installation. I chose "update" the first three times, then "custom" the fourth time this morning, and received the same error each time.

7. wascawywabbit

Yes, I canceled, and the installer rolled back the changes. I installed the utility you recommended, and did not see the Office 2007 suite available.

I have the trial versions of Office 2003 installed, they came with the machine. I just tried converting the Word program by entering the license key for the 2007 suite, but that didn't do anything. I think I heard the computer laugh at me when I did that. :eek:

I wonder if this is an upgrade CD? But even so, I have the trial versions of '03 on there already. Besides that, we took what we thought was the full Office suite as well as the Home and Student suite up to the sales rep to ask the difference, and we were told that the full version we had was just an upgrade. The pkg had a big red box on it that said, "UPGRADE" So, I don't think what we have is just an upgrade version, or the sales rep would have mentioned it, or it would have had the same warning on the pkging.

Thanks for all your help!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/707875

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice