Unable to install operating system

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Starlooker

Posting on behalf of my son so this information in being relayed to me so bear with me please!

He has installed a new 80GB hard disk, 256 Ram and is trying to install ME (yes I know, I know!). He has a 98 disk, an ME disk (which he has used to install on previous old computers) and an XP update disk.
He has tried and tried to install ME and it just won't work. Below is what he has done.

Booted from 98 CD
Gone into FDisk
Deleted exisiting partition
Created new partition (primary DOS partitiion) used 100% of space available
Says active partition is only 1078 Mb
Put ME disk into drive
Run D:/>setup
Message says "windows setup requires 15728640 bytes on your C:drive
And that it that, he can't get any further than that.

So that is how it stands and he is driving me insane saying he is going to have to buy a new computer and we only brought this one 2 weeks ago!! He couldn't install anything on that hardrive after formating that harddisk, so thats why he went out a brought a new harddisk!!

So please anyone, why isn't this working??

Any help much appreciated, please note that is bedtime where we are so will be checking back into tomorrow so there will be a delay in my replies.

When starting the computer you need to go into CMOS or BIOS area.
This tells the computer about the hardware it has. Check the manual
for the computer or motherboard to explain that. Often hitting "delete"
right after the power switch is thrown will bring you there. The hard
drive has to be detected for it's current size to work propetly.

Then later in FDISK you need to specify that you want to perform
the operation on a large hard disk.

Sorry I don't have time to type more.

john

Something is wrong here: Says active partition is only 1078 Mb

If there is only ONE partition and it is the active partition it should be the full space allotted to the drive.

Go back to Fdisk and start over.

What does

fdisk /status

see?

http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/fdisk-format.html

One caveat here, that 80 gig drive is probably more than the BIOS supports if it is an older computer.

The drive manufacturer should have software to overcome this, or you need to do a BIOS update, if available.

Starlooker

right guys these are the next things we will try. Made a mistake in the first post re the size of the active partition, it was meant to say 10781 mb and the computer is newly brought but because he has fiddled so much with it of course he has voided the warranty, by the by it is a Hewlett Packard Pavilion. Anyway Johnpost we will try anything. Will be back later in the day, Alex has a mornings work to go to, what I might do is get him to reply with his progress.

bearone2

Banned
you said you removed/created partitions but never said you formatted the partition.

Information on how to use FDISK can be found at:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/install/fdisk.htm

Topics covered are:
Overview and Getting Started
Partitioning a New Drive - Single Large Partition
Partitioning a New Drive - Multiple Partitions
Deleting a Single Partition
Deleting Multiple Partitions
Deleting a NTFS Partition
Fixing the Master Boot Record

==

Also, if there was more than one NTFS partition, FDISK can't remove the extended ones. You can use DELPART for that:
www.onecomputerguy.com/delpart.exe

Starlooker

Ok, yes he has now partitioned and formatted using the 98 CD he has. He says that he now has the ME operating system loaded but it is quite "glitchy" one problem he says is that he cannot change the screen resolution but at this stage has left for work so cannot follow that one up just yet. I know that sounds strange. I wonder if that has something to do with the fact that he is using a copy of the original disk ( I always copy all disks), so I suggested he try installing the original disk over the top of what he has just done. I don't know how these things work! The whole thing has been a mess from start to finish.

I'll look at that Delpart bit later one. Thanks for the info.

Anyway any suggestions much appreciated.
Thanks.

For the video problem, you might want to make sure you have the latest drivers installed and it is the one Windows is using.

Starlooker

Bob, since it is a new computer I would assume it has the latest drivers, but anyway how do we check that "it is the one windows is using"? Sorry, but I'm not too computer savvy.

Well, first of all with an HP you are dealing with a computer that had a hidden partition to store the original recovery information and associated drivers.

Since you changed drives -- none of that is present now.

You must get your drivers off the web for the vendors associated with the specific hardware that HP had installed.

In the case of the Display driver, check the Device manager to see what is recognized there.

Or run dxdiag and look at the display tab. Then go to that vendor's site and get the latest drivers. Or check the HP site for the model of the computer and see what it came installed with. You can probably find drivers there -- in fact if none of the hardware other than the drive itself has been changed -- that's your best bet.

However there is one caveat here -- if the operating system that is now installed is a different version than the one that came with the computer -- you may need different version drivers than the ones listed at HP.

Aida32 is an oldie but still goodie available for free that can give you good information on installed hardware and vendor names:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download181.html

Starlooker said:
Bob, since it is a new computer I would assume it has the latest drivers, but anyway how do we check that "it is the one windows is using"? Sorry, but I'm not too computer savvy.
You might look at the device manager to make sure that the correct video card is being used. Often I see folks install the video incorrectly and only a plain VGA drive is being used.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online