1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

unable to install OS with replacement hd

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vicks, Sep 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vicks

vicks Thread Starter

Yesterday our HP pc 533 pavilion's hard drive bit the dust. When I tried to install the recovery disk, it first had me open the set up and put the cd as the first boot. Then all I got is there is no operating system, and no hard disk. Well, today we purchased a new hard drive my husband installed it . Now the cd light will come on and it sounds like it is starting to run, but the monitor goes into power saving mode immediately, and the floppy light doesn't even blink. I do have a set of 6 windows XP startup disks as well as the HP cds for the operating system. Can someone give us some suggestions what we might be doing wrong or hint how to correct this problem. Thanks
    Vicks

2. seekermeister

seekermeister

If you are not even getting a bios screen, it sounds as though you may have jarred something loose while installing the harddrive. This would have to be corrected before worrying about installing anything. Check all connections, reseat all cards, especially the video card and the ram.

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

4. griffinspc

griffinspc

Go with seekermeister's advice first. Make sure your husband installed the IDE cable correctly and it's set to Cable Select or Master. Also make sure he plugged a power connector to the new hard drive. It's one of the most common mistakes made. People get so frustrated/nervous attaching the ribbon cable that when they finally get it they forget about the power. Make sure nothing got knocked loose and that if he removed the floppy cable when he replaced the drive make sure when he reattached it he used the cable with the twist in it and got the pin #1 right. In the off chance you do have a SATA drive then that's another story but I think it unlikely it's SATA.

5. vicks

vicks Thread Starter

He has checked/rechecked his connections. We will dbl check the other items.
    It is a ATA driver.
    Thanks for your replies, Will try to be back tomorrow.
    Vicks

6. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy folks...

vicks...

Honestly...to me it sounds like the ribbon cable to the hard drive is in backwards, make sure that the red stripe is toward the power connector...

7. vicks

vicks Thread Starter

As far as we can tell, everything is re attached the way we found it before taking the old drive out. I 'think' the cd reader is working ok, I tried to use the recovery disks we have and it sounded like they were running ok, and would run to the ends, as far as I could tell.
    (there are 8 of them) . but..... it still will not boot, any other suggestions we can try before we take it into a shop?
    Thanks
    Vicks

8. seekermeister

seekermeister

Assuming that you have checked everything mentioned so far, it would sound as though there is a problem unrelated to the harddrive installation. If you still aren't getting a bios screen, then the first thing to check is the PS. Use a tester to verify the proper output on it or swap power supplies, if you have a spare. If that seems okay, the next step would require removing the motherboard, laying it on a non-conductive surface, with the processor, video card, and one stick of ram installed. Connect to the power supply and monitor. Short across the motherboard pins for the power switch and see if you can get a bios screen. If not, then one of the 3 components is bad. Swap out the video card and check, if still no picture, swap sticks of ram, if still no picture, the motherboard is bad. I don't know if you would prefer the shop to do this, but if you do, it would be alot cheaper.

All of this assumes that you know that your monitor is good. If you have another, swap that also.

9. vicks

vicks Thread Starter

Thanks everyone..... Took the tower into the shop this am and it is the motherboard that has gone bad. so.............
    Joys of computing.
    Again thanks for all the input.
    Vickie

10. Old Rich

Old Rich

Bummer . . good luck with the replacement . .

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/499533

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice