Unable to Install Service Pack 2

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Browntop2004

I am trying to get a friends computer back to normal after a bit of a major problem.

I have managed to repair the OS (XP Home) but am still experiencing one or two problems. The main one at the moment is that though it has downloaded and successfully installed 33 MS Critical Updates it is not able to install Service Pack 2.

It gets about half way through installing SP2 and then brings up an "Access Denied" Error.

I have pursued this problem as deeply as I can and suspect it due to the fact that the "Security Center" is not running (the "start up type" is set at Automatic), I have tried to start it (manually) using mmc/services.msc/security center/start but this brings up a "Could not start the Security Center service on local computer - Error 127 : The specified procedure could not be found".

:(

The Security Center comes with SP2, doesn't it? Why should you already have it if SP2 isn't installed yet.

Browntop2004

This is XP Home (inc SP1). The Microsoft Updates are on automatic and it is telling me that SP2 has been downloaded and is waiting to be installed.

That's why I've disabled Automatic Updates. I like doing things myself and not have it "downloaded and waiting for me."

If it's been downloaded, how do you install it? Where is it waiting? I'm not sure I can help you with this, anyone?

That would work too, I guess. But that is a massive download, almost as big as a Battlefield 2 patch (that's supposed to be funny :p ).

But the big bold letters saying: "DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER" looks frightening and "A smaller, more appropriate download is now available" cracks me up.

Try it, it might work. You might waste a couple hours downloading it though, depending on your connection speed.

You can get a SP2 disc {free} from MICROSOFT order from their web site,takes about 2wks to recieve

The "DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER" means nothing . . you get the same file as you would if you had the CD, which, if you have thme, is a good idea also . . takes 3-4 days usually

Browntop2004

Thankyou Guys, for all the input. Unfortunately I already have SP2 on CD and have tried installing it, I just get the same result as when I try to install the downloaded update. Are you saying the link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en is exactly the same as the CD because if it is, there`s no point in me spending a few hours downloading it.

I appreciate everyone`s efforts and if anyone has any more ideas I welcome them. :)

This is just guess since I have never downloaded the hotfixes prior to installing SP2, but you could try uninstalling any that are in Add/Remove Programs to see if it helps

Browntop2004

You could have something there Simpwr. I have now realised that the problem could be that SP2 was previously installed on this machine and after the major problem remnants of SP2 were left which is now preventing me installing SP2 again.

When I right click "My Computer" and go to "Properties" I have :
Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 1

When I go to Control Panel/Add & Remove Programs : There is no trace of SP2 Installed

However there is a "Windows Firewall" on here and there certainly was`nt a firewall on SP1

Now if I could only uninstall the remnants of SP2 that seem to be left, it may sort out the problem.

Anyone know if SP2 has a KB number, perhaps I can locate it in Add & Remove Programs ?

In Add/REmove Programs . . did you check the "Show Microsoft Updates" box at the top of the page?

Browntop2004

Thanks for your suggestion SimpsWr but :
There is NO "Show Microsoft Updates" Box at the top of the page in Add/Remove Programs

In Add/Remove programs, I can however see,
2 XP Security Updates (KB905495 & KB912919)
1 XP Update (KB835409)
9 XP Hotfixes

So, I guess Add/Remove Programs must be set to show Microsoft Updates
No Sign of SP2 though !

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online