1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Unable to install software

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by rubeckf, Jul 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ruth
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD A10-8850 Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G, AMD64 Family 21 Model 56 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 15305 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon(TM) R7 Graphics, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 1842 GB (1372 GB Free); D: 18 GB (2 GB Free);
    Motherboard: HP, 2B52
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

I was trying to install a program that never would install. I finally tried to restart computer & try again, but I am getting the message that another program is being installed & wait til that is finished and try my install again. I have googled it and done several things that I found but still no luck. I have restarted my computer a number of times & keep trying. I can't uninstall anything either. If all else fails go to Techguy.org! The program I was trying to install was my new computer HPEnvy Photosmart 7155. I had uninstalled my printer HP photosmart 6520 but now that software is there again and the new one is not.??

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  3. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ruth
    Here is my problem, when I try to install or uninstall any software I get this message: Another program is being installed wait until that program is complete and then try installing or uninstalling your software again. It started when the HP Envy software started to install and then quit in the middle. Since then I have gotten this message each time I try to install or uninstall any software. Even though the Envy driver package doesn't show up it still works and has all its functions. When I go to HP it tells me there are no updates to it's driver. Thanks for any suggestions about this problem.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Restart your computer and see if that helps.

Do you have anyone computer-savvy who can help you properly remove or install those HP software driver packages?

--------------------------------------------------------------

5. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ruth
    I have restarted it several times with no success. I will call the guy that I take it to occasionally and see if he will do it for me for a nominal fee. Thanks

6. jenae

jenae

Hi,make sure your printer is off and if it has a usb plug make sure it is removed.

Go to programs and features (control panel) and uninstall all entries to do with your printer. From control panel go to "Devices and printers" right click on your printer devices and select "remove the device"

Press the win + r keys together and in the run box type:-
    printui.exe /s (press enter) the print server properties will open, go to the drivers tab and remove any entries for your HP printer there.

Open run cmd again and type:-
    c:/programdata (press enter) Locate the HP folder and remove all entries.

Restart computer and install your new printer just like you just bought it.

7. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ruth
    My problem is that I am unable to install or uninstall anything from programs and features. I have already deleted my old printer from Devices and printers. Even though the new printer isn't listed in programs and features it is working properly and is listed in devices and printers. I need to be able to install or uninstall things from programs and features.

8. jenae

jenae

Lanctus and AmateurJohn like this.
  9. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ruth
    I ran that and let it run for an hour and it never did anything. I finally had to cancel it and restarted the computer. The problem is still there. I sure wish that had worked.

10. jenae

jenae

Hi, patience grasshopper, part of the repair includes a chkdsk this alone can take hours, You should run it again and go out for the evening.

Lanctus and AmateurJohn like this.
  11. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ruth
    OK, I will start it again after I check everything this morning and just let it run. Thanks

12. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ruth
    Thanks so much!!! It worked. I had to go someplace and left it running for about 4 hrs. When I came home it was finished and no more HP 6520 software now. Thanks again.

Lanctus likes this.
  13. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ruth
    I found that I am still unable to uninstall anything but I can install programs. How can I get it to continue to uninstall without using the that download you gave me to use? Also everytime I restart computer now I get a thing saying it can't find the HP 6520 driver that I uninstalled.

14. jenae

jenae

Hi, this may require some extra efforts, I suspect a permissions problem.

Go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select"run as administrator" an elevated cmd prompt will open, copy the below cmd then right click anywhere in the cmd prompt window and select "paste" the cmd will append to the prompt, press enter.

echo > 0 & sc qc msiserver >> 0 & sc queryex msiserver >> 0 & echo >> 0 & notepad 0

Please copy paste the notepad output here.

We can see if re-registering the windows installer (also uninstalls) helps. Press the win + r keys together in the run dialogue box (copy paste):-

MSIEXEC /UNREGISTER (press enter) You will not notice any changes.

Next still in a run box copy paste:-

MSIEXEC /REGSERVER (press enter) again you may not notice any changes, restart computer and try an uninstall now.

We could try a well known and well used uninstaller (most use this, inc me) "Revo Uninstaller", unfortunately it also accesses the Msiexec process to begin the uninstall.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    AmateurJohn likes this.
  15. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ruth
    I finally gave up and re-installed windows 10. Thanks for your help.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1213400

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice