1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to install WiFi drivers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eeelectric, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eeelectric

eeelectric Thread Starter

HP DV6 6121tx
    Windows 7 64bit

I reformatted my windows and I was in the process of installing my drivers. I've everything setup except my WiFi. I downloaded the Ralink Wifi driver from HP's website, opened it.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...dlc=en&lc=en&os=4063&product=5117934&sw_lang=

It went throught the usual process of first extracting into C:/SWsetup and running the actual setup from there. But when it opens the actual setup, I see a command prompt screen for half a second. Then nothing happens, I suppose it crashes.

I can't understand what to do now, I really need WiFi. I've tried to run it in compatibility mode, I've tried to redownload the driver. I tried to manually point windows to the folder in SWSetup that was created, but it found nothing...

2. Rockon8729

Rockon8729

That link is broken. Also have you tried running the setup in admin mode? Right click shortcut>Compatibility>Check the box next to "Run this program as an administrator".

3. eeelectric

Link seems to be working here. Anyway, yeah i tried running it as admin too..

I also tried to install the driver from here
    http://www.mediatek.com/_en/07_downloads/01_windows.php

Then restarted. It still didn't detect my laptop.

One thing, the HP driver page for my laptop has 3 different WiFi drivers. Broadcom, Ralink and Intel.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5117934#N639

I was told I have a Ralink but maybe I have broadcom or Intel wireless card. Is there a way to verify?

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    do this
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How to identify hardware in Device Manager

right click on the wireless adapter or all the devices with a yellow ?

from the menu choose
    properties
    Click on the Details Tab
    Under the Property - drop down
    Select hardware ids
    Right click and select all
    Then right click again and select copy
    Copy and paste that information here

You should see a code similar to this

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_008A&SUBSYS_53058086&REV_34

please reply with the full code for your device(s)

The portion of the code highlighted in RED is the Vendor ID and the portion highlighted in GREEN is the Device ID. In this example:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_008A&SUBSYS_53058086&REV_34

Vendor ID = 8086
    Device ID = 008A

Post back those two numbers make sure we know which is vendor ID and which is device ID

These codes can be looked up at this site http://www.pcidatabase.com/

As an example the link for that database tells us that;
    Vendor ID code 8086 is for this vendor - Intel Corporation
    Device ID code 008A is for this device - Intel Centrino Wireless-N1030

5. eeelectric

Okay, so it turns out the vender code was 14E4 = Broadcom. I tried installing the latest broadcom drivers, then rebooted. Now the device manager thankfully doesn't have any network adapters with a yellow triangle, it successfully lists Broadcom 4313 under Network Adapters.

BUT I still can't run WiFi. My laptop's WiFi indicator is still red and pressing on the hardware on/off button does nothing at all.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    did you also install any wireless managers when installing the ralink, broadcom etc - i would remove those or make sure they are not both running together with the windows manager as that may conflict

can you post the pci/ven codes here and a screen shot of device manager network adapters

7. eeelectric

No I didn't install any wireless managers or anything, and I've removed any traces of those others...

I'm on Ubuntu right now so I'll post those details later, but I'm positive the device is Broadcom and the drivers have installed correctly. The problem lies in the F12 key which switches WiFi on and off. All my other FN keys work, volume, brightness etc. But this F12 key doesn't do anything, the WiFi light stays red.

It's not a hardware problem because it works well on Ubuntu.

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    try

Uninstall and allow windows to re-install the adapter and Driver
    goto the device manager > Network Adapters > click on the [+] to show all the adapters

right click on the adapter and from the menu

remove/uninstall the adapter

Now restart the pc and allow windows to detect new hardware and re install the adapter and the driver

9. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You may have to set up a new connection in 7's 'Network and Sharing Centre'.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090500

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice