Solved Unable to install windows 10 to new SSD

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
GPT is for UEFI. perhaps setting it to boot to UEFI (number one on CRJ's list) should take care of it if Windows was installed.

Dylan20002

Sorry for making things awkward but I went ahead and made a very short edited video on exactly what I did and compressed it to send here. Its just to make things less confusing and to show you exactly what I did. If I did anything wrong from what you said, would you be able to point out the time in the video and tell me exactly what to do to fix it. If its something that's not in the video then let me know also. If I did all of this correctly and theres more to do after, make sure to fill me in on that too. Sorry for the quality too, you should just about be able to make out what is being shown on screen at certain parts so it should all be viable enough hopefully. I'll be sure to get back to you tomorrow on it

Attachments

crjdriver

It is hard to see your video since it jumps around and shakes. It appears you are doing everything correctly however again it is difficult to see for sure.
Just had a thought; what bios are you running?

Dylan20002

Again sorry about the quality and choppiness of the video, I had to do my best to condense it so it was short enough to upload here. For bios version it says F1.

Just on a side note, I've obviously had to turn off and reset my pc a ton while trying to fix this problem. Will this effect my pc in future or damage it because I remember hearing that turning a pc off instantly instead of letting it boot down normally is bad for its health. I'm starting to cringe everytime I hit the power button because I feel like I'm shortening my pc's life span. It's late again so I'll get back to you tomorrow

crjdriver

You might try updating your bios to something like F31 or similar. IF you decide to do this task, be sure you read and fully understand the flashing procedure. While a bios flash is not difficult, an incorrect flash can render your board unbootable ie junk.
The only way I ever update a bios on a gigabyte board is by using QFlash which is build into the bios. IMO using a windows based flashing program is just adding an extra layer of complexity to the task.

Dylan20002

Damn, I was really hoping I could avoid doing a bios update for the reason you mentioned above. I'll try a bios update so and see how that goes. Just on what I said above about having to constantly turn my pc on and off, will doing this effect my pc?

Dylan20002

Actually before I do a bios update, are you sure there is nothing else I could try just to be safe? I'm going off for the night now but I'll be back tomorrow.

crjdriver

Just like many things the more often you cycle something the faster you wear it out. If you turn a light bulb ON and OFF constantly, it will not last as long as it would if you just left it ON all of the time.

Dylan20002

I just had a quick look online and saw that updating the bios isn't actually necessary to get your ssd working. If I'm wrong could you explain how updating the bios could potentially fix the problem. It's just that updating the bios is literally my last resort given how risky it can be if something goes wrong and I haven't the money currently to afford a new motherboard. Is there anything else you could suggest I try doing or is updating the bios the only option?

crjdriver

Not really. You have tried just about everything else. Up to you if you want to continue to attempt to install with your ssd.

Dylan20002

Just to be sure, it couldn't be my USB that's the problem or something within my pc. Or the fact that the ssd is set to gpt or something? The USB I'm using isn't exactly a high quality USB but I've been able to load windows install on It so I assumed it was fine.

crjdriver

It could be a lot of things however it is difficult to diagnose something like this without having the system in front of me.
Since you have tried most things, the best advise would be to take it to a shop. By shop I mean just that, a real shop that does builds, installs networks, etc NOT a chain store.

Dylan20002

Ya that's fair. I'll probably send it in if all else fails, but just for now I'd like to save money and try fix it myself. I just booted up my old hdd and had gotten the same error as before with the ssd when booting but after selecting windows boot manager instead of the hdd from the bios, it loaded up fine. There isn't a windows boot manager option in the bios when loading the ssd, should that be a thing? It only seems to work with windows boot manager

Edit. I just realised it can only be added by installing windows first. My apologies

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online