Solved Unable to install windows 10 to new SSD

Dylan20002

Understood. I'm going to try 1 or 2 more things and if they don't work then I'll update the bios

crjdriver

Most likely either the motherboard bios does not like the firmware on the ssd OR the firmware on the ssd does not like the motherboard bios. One or the other.

Dylan20002

And do you think updating the bios will solve this? As in has that worked for people before? Just curious

crjdriver

No one can give you a definitive answer. There have been a LOT of improved AGESA and there were a lot of problems with the first gen ryzen boards that were addressed with MANY bios updates.
Either flash the bios or not; up to you.

Dylan20002

Alright I'll do a bios update later after I try this one last thing. I was just wondering is all whether it was worth doing since my pc is pretty expensive and I'd hate to bust it up while trying to fix a simple problem. Thanks for your advice anyway.

Dylan20002

So unfortunately I got in contact with a pc technician and after describing everything to him he came to the conclusion that the ssd flash was damaged meaning I'll have to get a replacement or refund. I suppose I got some answer in the end and I tried just about everything so there's not much more I could have done. I never bothered doing a bios update in the end because I was just too put off by the risk of it going wrong and I had my doubts of it working anyway. Still thanks for helping out, I really appreciate it.

Just to make sure, before you close out this thread. I just want to confirm some things from the previously mentioned recommendations.
  1. When you set your BIOS to UEFI boot you need to boot from your USB using the EFI/GPT option to prevent Windows installing as Legacy (which honestly, I believe is backwards compatible but to eliminate points of error)
  2. You have included your chipset driver and your SSD driver (if one exists) to be installed during your Windows install
    • To reiterate what was previously mentioned, it can be included in the same USB as your Windows Install Media in its own Folder. If you make your own folder, adding files changes nothing, removing install files can cause problems
    • When prompted for drivers, simply direct it to the folder where ther are stored, allow it to search the folder and select the one you wish to install.
  3. Confirm that your installation media is not corrupt. Reuse the Windows Media Creation Tool to create your USB.
    • Beware, if you already have your drivers on the USB, be sure to back them up as they will be deleted when attempting to recreate it.

This is simply a restatement of the aforementioned advice to ensure you properly understaood the advice. I have not done research at all on your SSD, however I have never heard of Critical as a brand, I have heard of Crucial. I have some suspision the drive you purchased may be a chinese rebrand of a smaller drive with software hacks to make it appear as a 500GB drive. I am going to look up your part number to see if that may be the case. In the mean time, if you would please confirm that you have tried the above as it is stated.

Dylan20002

Oh sorry I meant 'Crucial' not critical. I have no idea why but for some reason I keep calling it critical like a dope:sneaky:... That's my fault now. Its not a knock off anyway, it's definitely the official brand just to get that out of the way. I suppose I can try those things you mentioned as a final attempt but I've already ordered a refund so I'll try to get it done before I ship it. If I get it working I'll consider keeping it

Dylan20002

Just as a mention because I don't know if this is important or not, but when I was attempting to fix the ssd I tried to update the firmware and found it to fail every time, I have no idea why it was doing it since there was a newer version of the ssd out but the official crucial software used for updating their ssd's kept giving me an error. Does this say something about the ssd?

Dylan20002

If I were to guess, I would say that I somehow corrupt the ssd while tinkering with it before or when installing windows, since I had it formatted a bunch of times before installing it and during the windows install, I had another error in the drive select/partition select menu where it gave me the message along the lines of "windows cannot be installed to this disk. The disk is of gtp partition style." This prevented me from progressing the install so I fixed it in the command prompt via disk part. There was also another error on the same menu that occurred after the gpt problem and it was something to do with not being able to boot or something with dual booting. I think in trying to fix these problems in command prompt I may have messed up the ssd because i remember following an incorrect tutorial and leaving half way after changing a bunch of stuff to do with the ssd. I eventually got passed these by resetting to defaults in the bios and I had to do that every time I attempted reinstalling windows, otherwise those errors would spring back up. Not sure if this shines light on anything but that's what happened on my end.

Yeah, you probably just have a bad SSD. As far as what you did with DiskPart, unless you unplugged it or cancelled processes while they were running I highly doubt you did any meaningful damage to the drive, and if you did it all goes back to it being bad to begin with.
I have formatted HDD, SSD, USB, NVMe, and SD cards many times, partially and in whole, in quick succession and with months in between, and have NEVER had a single device fail or become permanently corrupt from it. They are pretty robust devices, especially with emphasis on SSD and NVMe drives.
You probably just got a bad batch. But if you want a decent drive for about the same money, I have personally gotten 2 years out of this Sandisk drive, and I only replaced it from need for more storage. It is still kicking on a new laptop.
Milage may vary

Dylan20002

I guess it can happen, and of course it ended up happening to me and probably took a year off my PCs life from all the damn tinkering and switching off and on I did to try and fix it:cautious:. At least I can get a refund on the ssd and just buy a new one. I'll take your advice as well and have a look at that ssd you recommended. Thanks for the help anyway.

crjdriver

For ssd either intel or samsung; both are bulletproof. For a nvme, I use either samsung or WD black. I have two samsung 850s that are probably at least 4yr old and still running fine. The samsung software that you install with a samsung drive is excellent.

No problem, but again, I HIGHLY doubt you have done any meaningful damage by doing anything you have done.
I am guessing this is your first computer and you are getting all your data online. There is a big difference in the technical advice and precautions you read about and how you PC will ACTUALLY work. Take them as guidelines, respect them, but find where they apply.
I promise you, as you use your build, you will find things you would like to change to make it better. In a few years, it might not even be the same computer at all.
Enjoy it, you built it. Make it yours. But listen to it, it will tell you when there is something wrong. Until that happens though, it is fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online