1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to install Windows Recovery console

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hagman, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hagman

hagman Thread Starter

Hi this is my first posting i have a problem i am trying to install windows recovery console on my pc which is made by Mesh when i try to install i keep getting the following:-m5289.sys file is missing and thats it i have to quit installation the reason i need to do this is a program i installed called Acronis True Image 10 i keep getting a message Acronis loader fatal error boot drive partition not found press enter to try to boot your os which when i do reboots back into windows so its basically a boot up problem can anybody help me please.:confused:

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

3. hagman777

hagman777

Hi thanks for the quick reply i will give it a try.Regards

4. hagman777

hagman777

Hi conatcted mesh what a waste of time they are niw telling to do a clean installation of windows i would like to aviod this i am not an expert computer user and dont feel confident in doing this please any further help would be welcome .:confused:

5. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, Tech support is just the first option, and some folks actually provide good support, sorry your experience with MESH was not good.... I did read your thread at the MESH forum where someone posted to contact Acronis True Image support...I realize you are kind of fed up with being referred to other places, but if anyone knew the answer to your problem you'd have a reply here.

There is one person who I know uses Acronis software a lot, so let me ask him to take a look at this.

There is a way to manually install the Recovery Console into Windows, so that when you start the computer you are given a choice to boot to either the Console or Windows....I need you to confirm that that is what you were trying to do.

The other way to access the Console is to boot with the operating system disk in the drive tray, and press a certain key "R" at a certain prompt to do so.... that's how it works with XP anyhow.

Also, confrim if the computer is using XP or Vista, please.

Do you have an operating system disk? I think not, since you posted in the other forum that MESH would be able to provide you with a Recovery disk...

Still and all, I have used just a borrowed XP disk, Home or Pro, to run the Recovery Console from many times on a system that did not have it's own- if it will boot up, and get into Setup, you will see the option to press a key to run the Console...is that the way you were doing it, or, was it from within Windows?

We need these answers to possibly help you. In the meantime, I will ask two people far more experinced than I with Acronis or SATA drivers for some help!

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

When did the problem first occur, after installing Acronis TI 10, or when trying to install the recovery console? When you installed True Image, did you select the Acronis Secure Zone option?

What is the current state, can you boot the system at all?

7. hagman777

hagman777

Hi thanks for the last two replies sorry have been back PC seems to have a couple of things going on when first booting up i get a black screen showing do i want windows recovery console or windows xp professional if i choose windows recovery option i get the sys file missing message and it wont load if i select xp it loads into windows other times i get the message Acronis loader fatal error boot drive partition not found press enter to try to boot your os which when i do reboots back into windows.When i first installed Acronis True Image i created a partition on my external hard drive not recommended by Acronis and used the Acronis secure zone i then decided because i had bought a new external drive for my pc to delete the partition this is when the boot loader error came up i have still got Acronis on my PC but i am loathe to use it again would it be safe to delete it in the meantime.:confused:

8. hagman777

hagman777

Hi me again i thought i would mention i have found a Windows XP Home disc i think it got left behind when i took an old pc into my local computer shop i will give this a try.Regards and thanks to all once again.:confused:

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593764

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice