1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to install windows updates

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by flybaby, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flybaby

flybaby Thread Starter

I was having trouble with software and one of the manufacturers told me to make sure my Windows 98 had any critical updates installed. On going to microsoft.com, I am able to find updates to download, but when I click to go ahead and download them, nothing happens -- well, that's not really true. The window appears that tells me it's about to download (total download time was supposed to be one minute), but 10 minutes later it has done nothing. When I click "cancel" since it's not doing anything, I get the message Internet Explorer will now shut down. The details say "Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module RPCRT4.dll at 0177:7fc0ec16" and then lists the stack dump of registers, etc... Any suggestions? Also, I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I also cannot click on any links in my emails in outlook express (I used to be able to) -- I need to cut and paste any links. Also, any web links that have javascript come up with a blank window that never downloads.

THANKS for this site -- this is great!

2. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

what kind of internet u got?

3. TOGG

TOGG

I have similar problems with the Update site on my '98 computer but don't get your error message, just a freeze needing C,A D to get out of the update.

In my case I assume the problem is because I have voluntarily 'crippled' my copy of IE and have numerous security apps which are preventing various things from happening.

If you know exactly which update you need, date number etc., you should be able to get it either from the Download Center or the Catalog site as I do. The updates come as .exe files and you install them yourself, links below;

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en&categoryid=7

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp

4. eilo

eilo

In W98,if you can`t get your W -updates,this should work
    Click internet explorer TOOLS, OPTIONS, CONNECTIONS, LAN SETTINGS
    Then uncheck AUTOMATICALLY DETECT SETTINGS.
    After your updates,go back and restore the checkmark

5. TOGG

TOGG

eilo,

Thanks for the tip but, apparently, that only works for people not on dialup.

Anyway, I am not particularly bothered about getting Updates under the current, very limited, support for '98. There are plenty of sites that announce Critical patches that I can get from the links I posted earlier, if they seem to apply to me. In fact, I can get to the Download Center using my Opera browser!.

6. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

best idea is to get the latest internet explorer, run the web setup utility, and then go to windowsupdate.com and accept the policy.

7. alphanumeric

alphanumeric

Check your clock, if the date and or time are way off windows update won't work.

8. flybaby

flybaby Thread Starter

What do you mean, "run the web setup utility?" Thanks!

9. flybaby

flybaby Thread Starter

My clock was way off, but fixing it didn't solve the problem. I also remembered that I had a Security update CD from microsoft, but when I tried to run it, it just doesn't run -- blank boxes headed "internet explorer" appear on the screen, but they stay blank.

At least the software I originally wrote about is running now -- don't know how that happened!

10. flybaby

flybaby Thread Starter

Oh, I was also able to download 4 of the updates I needed separately by searching for them by number and downloading directly, as TOGG suggested -- thanks!!

11. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

are u sure you are using the latest version of internet explorer?

12. alphanumeric

alphanumeric

If you are using IE6 you can try doing a repair.
    Repairing your IE6 installation. For those using an OS earlier than Windows XP, click on Start, Settings, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs. Double click Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 and Internet Tools. Select Repair Internet
    Explorer & hit Ok. This will fix any detected errors in your IE6 installation. Reboot for the changes to take effect.

If that doesn't fix your problem I would run the system file checker
    A useful troubleshooting tool in Windows 98 is its System File Checker (SFC).
    You access SFC by going to Start / Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System Information. Then go to Tools and select SFC. If you run SFC /scannow from the command prompt it will scan all you system files and replace any corrupted or missing files. Have your CD handy, you will be prompted to insert it if any files have to be replaced.

Your MS security update Cd should have the full version of IE 6 on it if you want to try installing it again. You can also download the full version from MS.
    First, download the IE6 SP1 setup program from Microsoft.

Go to the folder where you've placed the above file. Open a Command Prompt (CMD) in that folder, then run the following command in the CMD window:

ie6setup.exe /c:"ie6wzd.exe /d /s:""#E"""

Note: Just copy and paste the above line so you get the syntax correct.
    You can also choose to download all IE versions in one go. For example, if you choose to download the version for Win9X, the version for NT, the version for W2K, and the version for Win ME - all the files will go to one location - a folder named "Windows Update Setup Files" - and you can then burn this folder to a CD and use it to install IE on any OS version you want.

13. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

ya if its still not workin i think he should do that.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269572

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice