1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable To Install Windows

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dakk, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dakk

Dakk Thread Starter

I just order parts for a new comp on my first build. My problem is when ever i try to install xp after the reformat and its in the middle of installing files to my disk it BSOD. and When i try 2 resume or boot off my HD it says ntldr is missing. I did some googling im not sure but i think it could be the HD. Also when I try to install xp and it just started it freezes or in the middle of detecting hardware and all that stuff it freezes...may be my Optical drive?

what do you think?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Some info on what the motherboard is might be useful here.

If it is SATA are you loading the SATA drivers at the beginning of the XP install process when asked?

3. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

Hi,

I'm guessing you have two sticks of RAM installed in your computer, whilst installing Windows XP remove the bottom stick and leave in the top one in whilst the installation runs and once all is completed, start up Windows normally with the two sticks.

NTLDR is a file that is used in Windows XP, so it may be that your Windows installation is corrupt. I recommend either i repair or a re-installation of the platform.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

But as I read it the poster is not able to install XP, so a reinstall does not seem viable.

However the RAM is a good tip, as dodgy RAM will always show on a Windows install.

5. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

He can re-install with no problems what-so-ever if the bottom RAM is removed - this is often a cause of conflicting in many Windows XP installations. It's happened to me enough times ^_^

Edit: I meant he wont have any crashing problems if this was done - at least this is the case in 95% of these problems.

6. johnpost

johnpost

that would be during the overall effort of getting XP on the
    computer, not while the installation is actually running.

the power needs to be off when inserting and removing memory.

MaverickUK phrased it in a way that might be taken in more than
    one way. i don't know much on grammer but i think that
    lots of words are indefinite and it's hard to know the time
    frame actually refered to.

7. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

Sorry, i seem to be lost? I thought he wanted to install Windows again and when he does, it simply halts? Am i going down the wrong road here? lol. By the way, i meant remove the RAM first, not actually whilst the installation is in progress - make sure the computer is OFF :)

8. Dakk

Dakk Thread Starter

the xp disc is good..it could be the ram. I have 2x 2gb g.skills in dual channel mode maybe thats what giving me the problem...i'll try it out...if not i already got another copy of xp on my computer ready to burn soon as i get some discs

thank you for replying! -_-

p.s i'll post more info later i have 2 go 2 skool -_-

9. telegramsam

telegramsam

I have, in the past, actually had to WIPE the hard drive after getting the famous NTLDR error. Might run Darin's Boot N' Nuke and try again with the RAM config suggested above...

10. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Installing an operating system is one of the few times all available RAM is ever used, therefore it is when any RAM problem may surface (even though they may not have been seen on the old install when it was running).

Usual syptom is the install cannot find files however, not the one above, but I would try with one stick at a time to eliminate that.

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

Remember this can also be a bad cd drive as well as cd, though the ram is the first place to look as you are doing. Is this a new hard drive? Can also be a weak hard drive as XP install stresses a hard drive more than anything else ever will.

12. Dakk

Dakk Thread Starter

My Motherboard is an ECS.
    Yes, this a new hard drive. This is my very first build. Everything is new but the CRT I will be using for my screen.I have shouldn't have any problems with the xp disc/ I always kept it in good condition and a friend of mine had use it recently and had no problems. I will try taking out one of the ram sticks. (by the way i mean 2x 1gb) I'll keep you posted. -_-

thnx for replying

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

ECS say no more, probably bad motherboard.

14. Dakk

Dakk Thread Starter

The Reviews on the board wasn't that bad. Maybe it is the board. I am still having trouble. I tried win 2k and I get the same thing. I should of went for a dell. :(

15. Rich-M

Rich-M

Sorry Ecs boards are amongst the worst you could buy. PC Chips, Ecs and Chaintech are "bottom scrapers" in the mobo market.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538993

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice