1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

unable to install wireless driver after recovery

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by rebeltaz, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rebeltaz

rebeltaz Thread Starter

I have a Toshiba Satellite A205 that was dropped while running and the hard drive crashed. I replaced the hard drive and used the System Recovery discs that Toshiba sent me to restore the laptop to an out-of-the-box condition. Everything seems to be fine, except that the drivers for the wireless adapter are not installing correctly. Vista only sees it as an "Unknown Device" under "Other Devices" in the Device Manager. I tried installing the driver manually from the Toshiba web site, but it wouldn't take it; I tried letting Vista look on the Internet itself, through a LAN connection, to try and locate the drive but it reported that it couldn't find a driver...

Toshiba is telling me that the laptop has to be factory serviced for a defective wireless card, but I have trouble believing that since this same technician also told me that unless I updated DMRI, DRMI, DMI or something like that on the hard drive, then it "wouldn't accept all of the information written to it." I've been doing computers for twenty-five years and, unless I am missing something, I have never heard of such a thing!

Is there anything else that I am missing or that anyone knows that I am doing wrong? I already got paid for replacing the hard drive and restoring the system, so I am having to do this for free. I really need some help here. Thanks....

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Double-click the "Unknown Device" entry to open its properties window, then click the Details tab.

Look for a string that has DEV_ and VEN_ in it and has 4 characters after each one.

Advise what those 2 sets of characters are.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I've worked on a couple of Toshiba Satellite A-model laptops, and they had an Atheros AR5005G wireless adapter, but that doesn't mean your laptop has the same one.

There also is the possibility that the wireless adapter got damaged when you dropped the laptop.

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. rebeltaz

rebeltaz Thread Starter

Atheros? They told me to download the Intel driver...

Anyway, I can't find the numbers you are asking for. On the Hardware IDs tab, it days:

USB/VID_08DA&PID_8197&REV_0200
    USB/VID_08DA&PID_8197

Does that mean video on that unknown device?

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    It should be in the "Details" tab.

Does that laptop have a built-in wireless adapter or a plug-in USB wireless adapter?

What's the entire model number of that laptop? A205 is just part of the number.

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. rebeltaz

rebeltaz Thread Starter

The wireless adapter is built-in.

Let's see .... Model number is PSAF3U-0NR00V

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the Toshiba specifications site for that number.

The actual model number of that laptop is A205-S5804

If you look in the "Communications" section, it lists the wireless adapter as a Realtek 802.11b/g Wireless LAN

This appears to be the driver that you need.
    (Click the "Downloads" tab, then select "Windows Vista - WiFi", then click "Realtek Wireless LAN Driver")

-----------------------------------------------------------------

7. rebeltaz

rebeltaz Thread Starter

Thank you. That driver fixed it. I don't know why Toshiba told me that it was an Intel adapter... Thank you again!

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
  9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917981

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice