1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

unable to install XP but easily install any form of linux

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pquinn34, Apr 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pquinn34

pquinn34 Thread Starter

When trying to install XP on my machine all is well until it reaches the point of actually installing windows. At this point I get the blue screen of death with the following code ( STOP! 0x0000007b.etc. If I then remove the XP disc from my "D:" drive and put in a linux lucid 10 or any other linux distribution and reboot, the machine goes about its business and installs that Operating system without any problems.

The machine is a HP Media Center M8425F PC with a IPIBL-LB REV 1-51 motherboard,3 gigs of ram, intel core2 2.667 mhz chip and an average built in graphics card.

I would certainly appreciate anyones thoughts on this problem as I have never come across it before. :)

2. huggie54

huggie54

go into BIOS locate sata drives setup and change it to something like this"RAID Auto/AHCI" to "RAID Auto/ATA"

3. pquinn34

pquinn34 Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick comeback, I will try that and let you know how I make out.

4. pquinn34

pquinn34 Thread Starter

The bios shows just one reference to SATA which is "SATA 1 controller mode" with the following choices IDE, RAID and AHCI. IT is presently set on RAID.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support site for the HP Pavilion Media Center m8425f desktop.

According to its product specifications section, it came with Windows Vista Home Premium SP1(32-bit) pre-installed.

The software and downloads section has no downloadable drivers for Windows XP, so you're going to need to locate and download and save them(if they're all available) so you can install the ones that don't get installed during the install of Windows XP.

The chipset, display, sound, and network drivers are the primary ones that you'll need.

From what I can determine, that desktop has:

Intel G33 chipset

Intel GMA 3100 integrated graphics - or - NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT video card

Realtek ALC888S high definition integrated audio

Realtek RTL8111C integrated network

----------------------------------------------------------------

If I'm correct, setting the BIOS to IDE should allow you to boot from the Windows XP CD, format the hard drive, then complete the install process of Windows XP.

The entire format and install process should involve 2 restarts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

6. Frenz

Frenz

I maybe wrong, but doesnt it take a slightly different proccess to format/install xp from a linux installation?

Or that may have been a thing of the past.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm not familiar with Linux, so I can't comment on it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

8. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

the linux bootloader will need to be deleted and a mbr created..and all linux partitions deleted as well

to allow a clean install of windows.

9. pquinn34

pquinn34 Thread Starter

Each time I attempted to load windows XP on this machine I used a seperate hard drive that I had formatted previously with NTFS. This linux installation was Lucid 10 and I installed that on a drive that had a corrupt version of Vista on it. the Lucid OS did its own deletion and creation of partition and linux format.

The attempt to create a WIN XP OS on another hard drive which was "clean" was good until Windows reached the point of installing the OS for use. This is when I got the BSOD.

I was able to get a recovery disk for Windows vista which was meant for this machine and the damn thing loaded and installed like a champ on the same hard drive that earlier gave me the BSOD with Win XP home. I do realize that if I did get the XP version to load and install, I might still have a problem finding drivers that were compatible as HP website only provides the drivers that are compatible with Vista . Changing the bios to "IDE" as against "Raid" was not the solution either. I just bugs the heck outa me that this machine keeps rejecting Win XP.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/989716

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice