1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to Join Windows Homegroup

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lgdolman, Jul 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lgdolman

lgdolman Thread Starter

I currently have an issue where both computers can see each other in network discovery and both can see that there is a home group available to join but they always fail when entering the passcode.

when the PC is the host I get a windows can no longer detect the homegroup error on the laptop.

when the laptop is the host I get a windows cannot setup a homegroup on this computer on the pc.

The PC is running 7 Ultimate and the laptop is running 8.1 and a homegroup was previously working in the past. I have completely disabled windows firewall and uninstalled the custom firewall I was using. I also wiped the peer network profiles on both machines.

The only error report is the same on both devices

1. - <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    2. - <System>
    3. <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-HomeGroup-ProviderService" Guid="{C9BDB4EB-9287-4C8E-8378-6896F0D1C5EF}" ></Provider>
    4. <EventID>5008</EventID>
    5. <Version>0</Version>
    6. <Level>4</Level>
    7. <Task>0</Task>
    8. <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    9. <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
    10. <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-07-15T12:56:53.341822700Z" ></TimeCreated>
    11. <EventRecordID>7317</EventRecordID>
    12. <Correlation ></Correlation>
    13. <Execution ProcessID="916" ThreadID="936" ></Execution>
    14. <Channel>Microsoft-Windows-HomeGroup Provider Service/Operational</Channel>
    15. <Computer>Laptop</Computer>
    16. <Security UserID="S-1-5-19" ></Security>
    17. </System>
    18. - <EventData>
    19. <Data Name="Error">???</Data>
    20. <Data Name="Message">Computer</Data>
    21. </EventData>
    22. </Event>

2. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

is the network discovery on on both of them? and are they both showing on either a home or work network? if the network is public, it may fail depending on settings. and what changes have happened since it stopped working?

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Has to be "Home" network to join a homegroup.

4. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

i think i may have known that at one time. honestly, i nver use this at all, just network it normally. as long as they have the network sharing on, and are in the same subnet, they should be able to see each other. of course, they have to have a shared folder. that homegroup thing with windows is supposed to make it easy on novices, but i have found it very frustrating to say the least.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Ditto. I just happened to have looked it up recently (for another thread). :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1129997

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice