1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to launch restart.exe

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by katsim57, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. katsim57

katsim57 Thread Starter

Hi guys!

Today I was working in a Corel program, and got a message that my computer was shutting down in xx seconds, don't remember the exact number. After this, I turned it back on and got this message "unable to launch restart.exe". Everything works except internet-based applications, the "search" function, and "add/remove programs". I am running McAfee (I know how ya'll love Mc!). I'm Windows XP.

Can't get to net to download anything; don't know how to proceed. Please help, and thanks so much!!
    I can get to here on my laptop, but I prefer using my desktop and would love to get it going again.

Thanks again!

Kat

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Hi Kat and welcome to TSG!

Boot your computer into Safe Mode with Networking. If no luck, use a working computer and a USB flash drive to save the following program.

Please click here to download and install version 2.0.4 of the HijackThis Installer.

Run it and select Do a system scan and save a logfile.

The log will be saved in Notepad. Copy and paste the log in your next post.

Do not fix anything

3. katsim57

katsim57 Thread Starter

On my way to do that now, brb!

4. katsim57

katsim57 Thread Starter

It just keeps getting better! Here's what I got:

"The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

Sounds bad.....

5. Phantom010

Do not install the program in Safe Mode. It won't work. You need to be in Normal Mode.

I was asking you to boot into Safe Mode with Networking to see if you could access the Internet.

6. katsim57

katsim57 Thread Starter

I just restarted my computer, not supposed to be in safe mode.

7. katsim57

katsim57 Thread Starter

And I should change my experience to "beginner" after reading all these posts....

8. katsim57

katsim57 Thread Starter

I should have mentioned also: the menu bar at the bottom comes up white instead of blue. Don't know if this figures in or not.

9. katsim57

katsim57 Thread Starter

Are you still here? Or should I check back tomorrow?

10. katsim57

katsim57 Thread Starter

Did get into safe mode with networking, can't access the net.

11. Phantom010

For the Windows Installer, click Start > Run > type services.msc

Scroll down to the Windows Installer service. Double-click it and make sure the Startup Type is Manual and not Disabled.

12. katsim57

katsim57 Thread Starter

It is manual.

13. Phantom010

How did you get HijackThis? Did you copy the program from a working computer to a USB flash driver, then plugged it into your faulty computer?

Make sure to save the program (the one on your flash drive) to your hard drive. Then, run the installation.

The program needs to be installed when your computer has been booted into Normal Mode. Then, your menu bar should be blue as usual.

14. katsim57

katsim57 Thread Starter

I copied if from my laptop to my flash, then tried to run on my desktop. How do I save it to my desktop from the flash? When I boot up my computer, the menu bar is white. Is there some way I can boot to normal? Or do you think this is a virus?

15. katsim57

katsim57 Thread Starter

Tried to copy it to my computer, nothing happened.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918445

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice