1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to load a certain web site

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by jnibori, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jnibori

jnibori Thread Starter

Have not been able to figure this one out. It's a small problem, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Recently, I have not been able to bring up the Tech bargains web site on my system ( http://www.techbargains.com/ ). I get the standard "This Page Cannot Be Displayed." My friend, who has the same ISP can, as can my father, so I know it's something on my end, which must have began in the last month or so.

I have tweaked my Internet Options security settings to the default level, and even tried it at the lowest level. I have disabled my firewall (Tiny) and SpyWareBlaster, but the page still does not come up. I do not have any sites placed in the restricted zone, and I am the only person who uses this computer. Also, I have tried it using different search engines to rule out a dead link. I also a different browser, which runs directly from a floppy disc ( http://www.offbyone.com/ ) witht the same results.

The strange thing is that I can can every other site I try (so-far) without any problems.

I am using IE6 and WinXP

Any ideas ??

PS - For those who read this and may not be familiar with the Tech bargain site, it's worth a book-mark as far as prices go
    http://www.techbargains.com/

2. steamwiz

steamwiz

Hi jnibori

I suppose you have tried deleting your temporary internet files and history

steam

3. jnibori

jnibori Thread Starter

Hi, and thanks -

Yes, I cleaned everything out using Disk Clean-Up, IWiper, Norton and the Internet Options Utility.

Hmmm...... a mystery.

The sad part is Techbargins is one of my favorite sites. (except for this one :D )

4. Del

Del

Hi,
    If it's a site that has games and such on it.
    try:
    techbargins.com without the a..
    Del

5. phoneguy55

phoneguy55

here is their IP if you want to try to ping 'em....just to prove a typo isn't the culprit

6. Del

Del

7. AlwaysLearning

AlwaysLearning

Any chance you are using a hosts file and the site is referred to in it?

good luck.

8. Del

Del

If you leave the www off you get there ok.

9. Top Banana

Top Banana

Hi jnibori
    I got to http://www.techbargains.com/with no problem. As suggested, by AlwaysLearning, it sounds suspiciously like a hosts file redirect.

Good luck.

10. jnibori

jnibori Thread Starter

Thanks to all who replied!

Well, here's where I am at. Sort of solved, but I am not sure why.

DEL - your link worked. Thank-you. I saved it, and shall use it to access the site. I did try URL in Google W/O the "WWW." At first it did not work. When I copied & Pasted your link into the address bar, it worked fine. The strange part, which I don't understand, is this:

DEL'S is the only link on this thread that worked, including the ones I posted. When I typed in "Tech Bargains" in Google, I get a couple of links to the site which don't work. When I tried the link in my Favorites folder (that I have used many times in the past) it won't work. When I have sent the same link to a friend, it worked for him.

I checked my Host file, and found nothing about TechBargains.com, and there is nothing in the restricted area under Internet Options at all.

Well, not the biggest problem in TSG and I am able to get to the site once again. So, again thanks.
    jnibori

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112144

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice