1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to load discs or intall OS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Immortalica, Sep 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Immortalica

Immortalica Thread Starter

A while back I wanted to format my hard drive and reinstall Windows XP. So I loaded the CD and formatted the hard drive. Now, every time I go to load the CD again to reinstall XP, Ubuntu, or any other OS, my DVD drive doesn't recognize the disc. There's nothing on my computer, no operating system of any kind. My PC has been sitting there unused for a couple months and I'd really like to get it up and running again.
    Also, I updated my drives firmware before I did this, if it's any constellation. And I've managed to install Fedora 9, but it was rather unstable with my hardware so I uninstalled it.
    What do I do? Do I need to buy a new DVD drive?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You could take the drive out and test it in another computer, drives do fail and sometimes a firmware update can go bad.

3. Immortalica

I popped it in my moms old HP and it would really show up anything I put in there. I also tried some (very) old CD drives but they didn't do any better. When I updated it, it seemed to work just dandy until I decided to format. Guess I got to get a new one then eh?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If it doesn't work in 2 computers then yes, replacement is required.

5. xDatWun

xDatWun

What is your CD Drive's brand and model?

Im asking this, because in the bios, I believe you have to change the connection mode (right now it could be sata, but the connection rally is ide).

6. Immortalica

It's a Pioneer DVR-111DBK (IDE). I tinkered around with the BIOS a little bit but haven't gotten anywhere. I'll mess with it some more.

7. xDatWun

xDatWun

Is there an option in BIOS to change the connection from SATA to IDE?

8. Immortalica

I don't see an option like that on there. I switched a few settings but didn't seem to get anywhere. I forgot to mention, sometimes when I put in the XP disc, it hangs a little while (flashing underscore) then I get this thing that says GNU GRUB... and I can enter a bunch of commands and stuff. Any thoughts on that?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751735

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice