1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

unable to load driver/windows update

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by natho3, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. natho3

natho3 Thread Starter

When I try and install the update for my video driver and the latest Windows update (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130), I get an error message saying: "Windows could not load installer for display. Contact your hardware vendor for assistance".

Also (and I don't know if this is related or not, I am unable to view "properties" from my desktop or to change screensaver/background themes from the control panel).

From googling the error message, I suspect that it has something to do with my video driver but I'm not certain.

I'm not sure what specs you need re: my computer. Here are the basics, if you need more, let me know.

Dimension 2400

Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz
    Version: x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9
    Speed: 2657 MHz

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Version: 5.1.2600
    Service Pack: 2.0
    PID: 55277-OEM-0011903-00102
    Hot Fix: KB943460

Video Cared
    Model: Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller
    Driver: ialmnt5.sys
    Tuesday, April 15, 2003
    Supported

Sound Card
    Manufacturer: Analog Devices, Inc.
    Model: SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
    Driver: smwdm.sys
    Friday, February 28, 2003
    Supported

Any suggestions or instructions for correcting the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Charles

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/651952

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice