1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

unable to load linux after installing

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by kungfu, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kungfu

kungfu Thread Starter

i have install Fedora core 4 successfully with win xp sp2 but when i run linux it comes to this part :
    welcome to Fedora core
    press I to start interactive menu

Starting ndev:
    Initializing hardware.....storage network audio_

than i come to end of Linux (i mean i am stuck forever from this part onwards)

loading windowsxp is not a problem it loads without any error i mean it is working fine

but what could be the problem with my Fedora core4 installations pliz help me out

i have created partition for linux
    such as hda3 for installing all the linux files and another partition for linux swap
    and if i am not mistaken i am sure all the boot files will resides on /dev/hda3 but can't understand why i am having problem regarding this

2. comprookie20

comprookie20

Need some more info.

3. kungfu

kungfu Thread Starter

yeah tats where i got stuck

after loading everything
    comes this part
    Starting ndev:
    Initializing hardware.....storage network audio_
    and then cursor blinks and blinks and blinks blinks and blinks blinks and i never saw the Fedora core4 desktop

4. comprookie20

comprookie20

What make and model motherboard?
    That is saying udev or ndev?

5. saikee

saikee

Try press ctrl+alt+basckspace to see if you get a terminal mode
    If it does then it is just a matter of attending the xorg setting.

If you don't get any response then it is time to verify if the FC4 disk any good by conducting a MD5 sum check. The integrity of the iso image should be checked if you have reason to doubt a loss in the transmission.

Fedora Core 6.90 has just been release and you are far better to go with the newer versions. FC4 should still work though and it is still in my box.

6. kungfu

kungfu Thread Starter

hey i dont know how it happen but when i went home and open my pc Fedora core 4 was working and i was just amazed anyway like you said Fedora core4 is not the latest version so if you guys can give me the link for the latest fedora version i would be grateful

Code:
    ok my next question or rather say a help is
    i want to change the grub menu to simple as like this

when i switch on my pc with will be the default winxp os not the FedoraCore4 os

my recent pc setting is when i swtich on
    it goes with the count down timer

then shows two option
    1. FedoraCore4
    2. Others (that is winxp)

now what i want is simply the menu option should be like this:

1. WindowsXP professional
    2. FedoraCore4

and if i don't press esc key then automatically it will load windowsxp professional

FedoraCore is install on my/dev/hda3

how to i write the grub menu for this and where to place the file (pliz specify the path location to replace the grubmenu)

7. saikee

saikee

Linux boot loaders Grub and Lilo both use a command call "deafult" as a way to get over waiting for an old woman who could never make up her mind on which system to boot.

Both boot loaders use a "timeout" command in which a time limit is set for this waiting game.

When the time expires in that specified in the "timeout" statement the boot loader would say "enough is enough, I can't wait any longer" and proceeds to boot the system indicated by the default statement.

Grub counts from 0 and so
    Code:
    default 0
    mean if the old woman cannot make up her mind Grub is given the green light to boot the 1st system.

In you case all you need to do is to change the "0" to "1" if it is XP you want to boot. You obviously could not decide which one to boot within the time specified in the "timeout" statement, or too lazy to tap the downward direction key, or aren't fast enough to compete with Grub because bugger has set a fast timeout.

If you want Grub boots to XP the quickest way then you need to have
    Code:
    default 1
    timeout 0
    I like the idea of being an old woman by setting "timeout 1000". Grub is my servant and it has to do what I want, not the other way round.

When I boot 140+ system I remove the "timeout " statement completely and Grub can wait there forever until I make up my mind.

You know you can have a bit of fun with the boot loaders too.

8. kungfu

kungfu Thread Starter

suppose i write the command like this
    Code:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional"/noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    C:\linux.bin "FedoraCore4-Give it a Try !!!!" 
    will it work
    i mean i wrote this according to my pc settings where linux .bin is located will it take the changes?

9. saikee

saikee

Hey my kungfu friend you talk apple while I speak orange here.

I am talking Linux boot loaders but your last post indicates you are using Xp's NTLDR boot loader.

Nevertheless the principle is still the same

As aan example here is the boot.ini I used in my XP
    Code:
    timeout=10
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    c:\sda2.lnx "sda2"
    c:\sda3.lnx "sda3"
    c:\sda5.lnx "sda5"
    c:\sda6.lnx "sda6"
    c:\sda7.lnx "sha7"
    c:\sda8.lnx "sda8"
    c:\sda9.lnx "sda9"
    c:\sda10.lnx "sda10"
    c:\sda11.lnx "sda11"
    c:\sda12.lnx "sda12"
    c:\sda13.lnx "sda13"
    c:\sdc56.lnx "FC5"

10. kungfu

kungfu Thread Starter

ok here is my problem i have installed FedoraCore4 and later came to know that i have installed grub in MBR not whenever i start my pc automatically the linux grub starts rite so what i want is i want to bootboth the operating system from window boot loader i do have a help files but tat is only meant for dual booting when second os is not installed but in my case i have already installed both the OS now simply what my current configuration is booting from linux grub which is not what i want, what i want to do is to load both the OS from windows boot loader but here the problem is i have installed both the OS now what do i need to do in such case?
    Code:
    1. Do i have reinstalled both the OS?
    2.Do i have to create a boot partition, if so than do i have to reformat everything or i can create a boot partition with touching anything if so than how?
    3. or is there any files to be replace such as editing the files and copying them on another locations if so How?

i would be grateful if you guys help me out here
    Actually booting from the linux grub is fine with me but since i am not the only user to my pc so its hard to explain to others how to start the computer, everytime i have to tell them to press esc key and choose the OS.

11. saikee

saikee

I think you have two problems here.

First one is you haven't decided on to go with Linux or Windoze boot loader.

Second one is you can't post a question accurately reflecting your need.

It is OK that you do not have the knowledge and could have difficulty in putting the correct question forward but it helps others if you indicate what sort of level are are currently in. As it turns out all your questions have been answered but you just do know how to use them. I have posted both the way to do it in Linux with Post #7 and then to do it in Windoze with Post #9.

Your current problem is totally unrelated to the original question as it seems you are able to boot boot systems but just want a better control on which one should come out first.

I don't want to repeat myself as this sort of question has been answered so many time. Therefore I suggest you to look it up Task E4 of my signature on how to use NTLDR to boot a Linux.

I am also taken you by the hand on how to arrange Windows to be booted first as follow.

(1) You have to edit Fedora's /boot/grub/grub.conf to change the default system to boot by alter the default statement. As an example take a llok at my FC4 grub.conf
    Code:
    default=0
    timeout=5
    splashimage=(hd0,21)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title Fedora Core (2.6.11-1.1369_FC4)
    	root (hd0,21)
    	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 ro root=LABEL=/12345678910 rhgb quiet
    	initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4.img

[color=blue]title Windows XP professional @ hda1 
        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
        makeactive
        chainloader +1[/color]
    If I do not selective a system to boot within 5 seconds Grub will boot up the 1st choice and that is FC4 because the "default 0" statement ask it to deafult to the 0th system. Grub count from 0 so its 0th system is our 1st system.

Thus if I want Grub to boot Windows after 5 second elapses I have to implement the chnage in red as follow
    Code:
    default=[color=red]1[/color]
    timeout=5

root (hd0,21)

rootnoverify (hd0,0)
        makeactive
        chainloader +1[/color]
    Equally I could keep the default 0 but alter the position of the FC4 and Windoze (colored blue to assist you to identify it) like this
    Code:
    default=0
    timeout=5

rootnoverify (hd0,0)
        makeactive
        chainloader +1[/color]

root (hd0,21)

Lastly if you do not know how to edit /boot/grub/grub,conf then log in as root, using the filing manager to locate the file and open it with gedit.

I believe I have given you all the solutions and choices. The above is to take you by the hand to get to there.

After writing the above post I do wonder for all my trouble it is just amending a "0" with a "1". Do Linux users not read up a bit to meet me half way and I must go all over to the other side to show everything? I don't mind doing it but one could only learn if one reads and thinks.

12. kungfu

kungfu Thread Starter

ok got the point

i already change the title part but i was afraid of changing the default value now its crystal clear anyway thank you so much(y)

13. kungfu

kungfu Thread Starter

hey thanks for the grub menu i switch the title case that is made the windowsxp first and fedora second and there was no problem it works (y)

ok the os ritenow i am using FC4 which may be outdated but i do need some updates for fedora Core 2.6.11-1.1369-FC4 can you pliz suggest some link where i can get those links i really appreciate switch to FedoraCore 6 but rite now i am new to Linux OS and still wants to continue with FC4 with the updates, what i feel is : let me get my hands on FC4 first and then switch to FC6 but before i get my Hands on FC6 i need updates for fedora Core 2.6.11-1.1369-FC4 and i dont have the idea where to search for it . i tried google but it shows me all about trouble shooting so Guruji pliz nah

14. saikee

saikee

I think you need to start a new thread as this the second question unrelated to thread title.

Continue with the same thread but on different questions can prevent other knowledgeable experts from giving you the needed advices.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540426

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice