unable to load new programs

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gho40

I have an Apple Powerbook G4 with Mac OS X version 10.3.9. that was given to me. Whenever I try to load a new program I get a message that I need OS 9 or higher. I have tried three different programs with the same results. Can anyone help?

It sounds like you do not have Classic (Mac OS 9.X) installed on the machine. Programs written for pre-OS X operating systems require a pre-OS X operating system in order to install and run. Classic is this operating system, running from within OS X.

If you were given the original disc(s) that came with the computer you should be able to install it from one (or more) of them. After this is installed when you launch a pre-OS X application the old OS will start up within OS X and let you use the programs (maybe). Not all OS 9.X programs are Classic-compatible.

Your best solution would be to look for OS X versions of whatever applications you are running.

gho40

Thanks for the info. I did not get the disks with the computer. I have been trying to load the printer, scanner and RW disk drive that I have been using on my PC. The disks say they are for MAC also. Guess I'll have to try something different.

Look on the web page(s) of the manufacturers of the things you're wanting to install and see if there are newer versions. Chances are they are available for download.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online