Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unable to load recovery disk for Wins ME

679 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  flavallee 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a PIII 256RAM Wins ME 20GB Harddisk and the system is about 5 years old,recently when I surf the internet when suddenly the blue screen came in and the message:Error:OE:0028:D4EF96D5 then I have to press any key and a new message :Error:OE:0028:C021A024 then press key again then back to normal.But keep coming the Blue screen with different error and finallyl I Reformat the harddisk but load about 80% and hangs then restart and a new message:The following file is missing or corrupted:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD
Type the name of the Windows Loader(e.g.,C:WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD)
AND some funny message:A CRC mismatch occurred on the file below.This file may be corrupt,your cdrom may be dirty or damaged
C:WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS\OLS\AOL\AOL5OCA.EXE.and a few others message.
Then I tried WINS 98se but still hangs when loading half way.
I have just change my CDROM Drive today just to be sure it can read properly.
I have change my Ram 1 month ago.
Hope someone can help,is it my HArddisk is faulty or virus Thanks.

#2 ·
Since the problem spans two different installation CDs I would look at the possiblility that the system is overheating. Have you verified the case is dust free and that the cpu fan is up to speed?

As for the disk drive, it could be the problem if the errors are occuring on files already copied to the hard drive. Try going to the hard drive's vendor's site and getting a diagnositic utility you can run on it. When you install, scandisk does a check, is it reporting any errors?

#3 ·
Rollin' Rog said:
Since the problem spans two different installation CDs I would look at the possiblility that the system is overheating. Have you verified the case is dust free and that the cpu fan is up to speed?

As for the disk drive, it could be the problem if the errors are occuring on files already copied to the hard drive. Try going to the hard drive's vendor's site and getting a diagnositic utility you can run on it. When you install, scandisk does a check, is it reporting any errors?
Hi Rolling Hog,

I have check the cpu fan is running at fast speed and how should I check the correct speed.
How can I load the diagnostic utility when I on the system and straightaway after showing the configuration page it will show error message:The following file is missing or corrupted:C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD
Type the name of the Windows Loader)e.g.,C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD)
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

#4 ·
You can't really verify the "correct" speed in the situation you are in, you can only eyeball it and make some guess as to whether it appears to be laboring.

One thing you might try doing is keeping a small table fan blowing in on the open case during a fresh install.

The errors with vmm32.vxd can only be resolved by a successful reinstall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.