1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to load windows 2000 in latitude

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bkanwar, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bkanwar

bkanwar Thread Starter

I just bought CPi 300 , 128Mb , 4Gb , latitude from ebay. I ran diaganostics Dell CD and except for Serial port error, it shows everything has passed the test. It has A12 BIOS.

Whenever I try to load windows , it shows "Boot sector not found in HDD". CD drive is working fine as Dell Diagnostics CD works fine. HDD passed the diganostics test. Windows CD is fine as I am able to open this CD in some other laptop.

I am in deep trouble .

Can someone help. It will be really appreciated.

2. winbob

winbob

Googling your error msg turned up a product site selling a software repair package that did give some insite into your problem:

'Boot Sector Not Found’ Error Fix.
    There is an incorrect value in the Partition Boot Record (PBR) on the hard disk. Any computer with a mis-match in the number of read/write heads reported by the Partition Boot Record and the system BIOS will likely have this problem.

If this is at all correct, then it would seem that you may not have "AUTO" specified in the HD detection portion of the BIOS. There must be an incorrect value there for Heads/Cylinders, etc.

Check that out!

3. bkanwar

bkanwar Thread Starter

I did look into BIOS. It says first boot option is INternal HDD, second option is Modular bay HDD, third option is CD Drive. I have tried juggling all but still get the message
    "No boot sector on hard disk- strike F1 to retry boot:F2 for setup utility"

I could not find AUTO option anywhere in BIOS.

Thanks for your efforts and reply. I shall be soon googling this error message as advised in your signatures

4. winbob

winbob

it should be in the IDE section. That's where you either specify the Drives' Geometry, or set to AUTO and the system interogates the hardware and makes the settings.

5. bkanwar

bkanwar Thread Starter

1st boot option is CD , 2nd is Internal HDD, 3rd is diskette drive.

I am able to boot from bootable floppy but then it does not recognize CD drive.
    Its CD-R disk that I am trying to load windows from? Can it be an issue ?

6. winbob

winbob

You ignored this from my last Post!

You also said, "I am able to boot from bootable floppy but then it does not recognize CD drive."

When you boot from a Floppy it should offer you the OPTION to include CDROM support. If you do not select that option...no CDROM.

7. bkanwar

bkanwar Thread Starter

I made a bootable MS DOS disk from other laptop .
    I put this disk in my latitude.
    it boots but does not ask for any option. Straightway takes me to A: drive
    I try to go to b: drive and it shows me again the directory of A:
    I try to go to any other drive i.e. c:\ d:\ (hard drive) or CD drive, it does not let me go there.

8. brite750

brite750

if you are trying to load win2k you have to format and partition hdd for ntfs, what is hdd manufacturer, find out and d/l their hdd utilty to format your drive, when your done with that you set bios to boot from cdrom 1st, insert the win2000 disk and reboot to win2k setup

9. winbob

winbob

Get a boot disk download from BOOTDISK.COM

Select one for Win2000, or other Win Op/SYS, but not just a Basic DOS disk.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327086

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice