1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

unable to load windows 98

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ar9, Dec 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ar9

ar9 Thread Starter

I recently installed an additional hard drive and all worked well, I upgraded the memory to 96mb and attempted to install a cd writer. I could not install this unit, but I had unplugged the ribbon cables to the 2 hard drives and the existing cd rom. I replugged and rechecked the connections numerous times and they are correct. I cannot access windows on start up. I can get into the set up, but that is all I can access. I tried a boot floppy but no help. All I get on start up after the bios information, is a blank screen with a blinking cursor which cannot be accessed. The hard drive continues to run but is not recognizing anything. Help!!

2. brianF

brianF

Did you change jumpers on hard drives
    Are you sure the cables are connected correctly, red stripe to pin1 on the drive, also red stripe to pin1 on mobo

Did you enter bios and reset the ide configuration to either auto detect or manually detect the drives.

3. brianF

brianF

email from user

I am sending you this message on my laptop as I still cannot use the desktop. I tried what you suggested, changing or reseting the bios to primary from both and then I tried secondary. Neither has an effect on boot up. I am unable to get into windows or the safemode. I checked all connections and the ribbon is connected in the right direction (stripe). It was working fine until I unplugged the ribbon cable and replugged. I even tried a new cable as I felt maybe there was a break in the cable. I installed a memory upgrade before all of this happened, but it came up immediately and indicated the correct memory mb. I could remove the memory chip and go back to the beginning , but I do not see what that will accomplish. I am unable to boot from a floppy which I have, as the floppy drive runs and then stops and then everything comes to an end. I appreciate your prompt response to my original request, and hope that this will clarify so that you may have an answer. I am willing t!
    o format the hard drive and reload windows if need be, but I cannnot see how I can do this

I would pull all but the original memory chip and see

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61201

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice