1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to locate CD-ROM drive.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JayJay00, Jun 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JayJay00

JayJay00 Thread Starter

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I tried to run one of my games today, and I got a pop-up saying that:

Frozen Throne was unable to locate your CD-ROM drive.
    Please make sure your Frozen Throne disc is in your CD-ROM drive, then click on 'Retry'.

I have never gotten this error before, so I right clicked on My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager. Then under DVD/CD ROM drives is has:

ASUS CD-S480/A5
    HP DVD Writer 640c

Next to these names there is an icon which has an exclamation point " ! ".

I right clicked on ASUS CD-S480/A5 , then properties and the device status says:

Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)

I am not sure what this exactly means, but I cannot load any of my games.

Thanks.

2. mike5532g

mike5532g

3. JayJay00

JayJay00 Thread Starter

I followed the instructions on the first link, and everything is working fine now.
    Thanks for the help :)

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Do you shut down your computer when finsihed at the end of the day or leave it running?

5. mike5532g

mike5532g

6. JayJay00

JayJay00 Thread Starter

I usually leave it running.

7. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Not a good idea, I would shut it down and wait a few minutes and restart it and see if you get your drive back. Whether you get the drive to show or not it is not a good idea to leave your computer running all of the time.

Reason why, The computer will get stale and not function properly and also if there is a thunderstorm and you are not home well you might find your computer either all over the place or possibly your house burnt down. Of course this is a worse case thing but still it is not a good thing. Also it helps the computer when you reboot or have to boot up so it gets refreshed and has the system defaults refreshed. Sort of like getting 8 hours of sleep for yourself.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/474261