1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to Locate Component - lsass.exe

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by scarr1128, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scarr1128

scarr1128 Thread Starter

I've been put on a scavenger hunt this past week in an attempt to get my laptop to at least get to the login page but have come to dead end after dead end. It started off with an "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" message followed by 4 hexadecimal numbers, one of which being 0xc0000006. I was able to get past this point by popping in my XP Pro cd and running a repair. Upon rebooting my computer I received a error message that had the header "lsass.exe - Unable to Locate Component" with the message "This application has failed to start because" I was able to access my harddrive and replaced the lsass.exe file with a copy off my father's working computer but it still wouldn't read. Finally I did a repair install of XP and got the same lsass.exe error message on top of the regular setup screen. Since the setup seemed to be active (the screen went through a series of slides explaining how great the new XP is!) the 39 minute setup was still going over 90 minutes after it originally started. When the lsass.exe error box is closed, the computer automatically restarts.

Please help, my computer's warranty expired only a few weeks ago so I haven't been able to get any help from Dell support and I'm really running out of options!

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Are you using the Dell install software for this installation?

3. scarr1128

scarr1128 Thread Starter

Yeah, it's the Reinstallation CD Service Pack 2.

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

5. scarr1128

scarr1128 Thread Starter

I've gone through those steps but the error message still appears.

6. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

I have seen some offering to sasser during my looking around I would like you to run a HijackThis and let us find out

To download HJTsetup.exe To Download HijackThis go to the following: http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item5
    Filename = 1137518044HJTsetup.exe
    Save the file to your desktop.
    Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
    By default it will install to C:\Program Files\HijackThis.
    Continue to click Next in the setup dialog boxes until you get to the Select Additional Tasks dialog.
    Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
    Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
    At the final dialog box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
    Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
    Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
    At the top of the Notepad HJT log screen, hit Edit then Select All then click Edit and then click Copy doing that copies the text to the clipboard, you won't see it yet....
    Open a TechSupportGuy forum Reply window for this thread, to have ready to paste the Hijackthis log into. Click once to place the typing cursor in the reply window.
    At the top of your TSG/browser window, hit Edit then Paste
    You should see your copied Hijackthis log appear in the reply space....then, submit the reply
    DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

7. scarr1128

scarr1128 Thread Starter

It's definitely not a virus. I've had all my updates and antivirus software that protects against the sasser worms.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!