1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to log in to my administrator's account

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by pearllenon, Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pearllenon

pearllenon Thread Starter

While using my laptop (Vista OS), there was power interruption (the voltage increase) and i immediately shut down my system. i logged in few seconds later to make sure everything was ok. Then an hour later, i used my laptop to watch a movie for about an hour and then shut down my system to go to bed.
    The next day i tried logging in but was told Access Denied. now i am using my guest account.
    How can i access my admin account??????

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

3. pearllenon

Thanks, perhaps you did not get my point Mark1956. I can not access my administrators account, i'm only able to access the guest account

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Do you mean your normal User account with Admin permissions, the the built in "Administrator" account?

Also what version of Vista, Home premium, Basic, or Ultimate?

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

The Guest account does not have internet access. Are you sure that is what you logged into?

In any case, improper shutdowns damage the file system on the hard drive. Run chkdsk /f to repair the damage.

6. pearllenon

Yes, normal user account with admin permissions and i use vista Business

7. pearllenon

I created an account with limited access for my colleagues to be using. how do i Run chkdsk /f from this account with limited access

8. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Try booting into the safe mode and make a new Admin based account.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Create a shortcut to chkdsk. Then right-click the shortcut and choose to run it as an administrtor to run it from a limited account.

You can just right-click the desktop and use the New menu. Since chkdsk is in your path, all you have to type in the target box is "chkdsk.exe /f" (no quotes).

10. pearllenon

what are the steps required to create an Admin based account through safe mode

11. Mark1956

Mark1956

• Restart your PC and press F8 repeatedly before Windows loads to open Vista's Advanced Boot Options screen.
    • Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode and press Enter.
    • On the low-res Windows Welcome screen, choose the Administrator account, which by default has no password.
    • click Start > Control Panel > User Accounts and either change your standard account to an administrator one or create a new administrator account.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027442

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice