1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to log onto different user after switching user

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cooltrip, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cooltrip

cooltrip Thread Starter

The title sums up my problem pretty well. I used to have a problem with switching user, my computer didn't respond after clicking 'switch user.'
    I searched for a thread about that problem on this site and solved it instantly.
    However, after switching user, the computer now returns back to the Windows XP main log-on screen as it's supposed to, but when trying to log onto a different user, the computer almost refreshes the screen and comes straight back to the log-on screen. The only user that has access to the computer at this point is the user that switched user originally. Any ideas on how this could be fixed? (n)

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    What happens when you log out, do the other account(s) work then?

3. cooltrip

cooltrip Thread Starter

Yeah I can, if I was to log back onto the user that originally switched user, i can log that user off and then I'm able to log onto another user. The problem only occurs with user switching. Hope that helps :eek: and I hope someone can help me.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Is "Switch User" turned ON in the User Accounts area?

5. cooltrip

cooltrip Thread Starter

Yes it is.

I suppose it's not a major problem so I won't be disappointed if you can't think of a reason or a solution for it, but it's just an irritating little problem because when someone needs to access something on their desktop quickly and then you have to go through the whole rigmarole of logging off and then logging back on. Damn you Microsoft! :p

Edit: Yeah I've just turned Fast user switching off, applied the settings, then put it back on again, applied the settings and tried switching user but still no luck (n)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!