1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to login to a specific website

Discussion in 'Networking' started by frzp13, May 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. frzp13

frzp13 Thread Starter

A few days ago, I tried logging in to my university's website to download the latest assignments from my professors. Funnily enough, the website can't load and simply displays "The connection has timed out" (I tried to load my university website using Mozilla Firefox). The same thing happened when I tried to load the website in Chrome (the only difference is that it displays "This site can't be reached" / server took too long to respond). The same goes to Internet Explorer. This has never happened before. I remembered clearly that I was able to load my university's website and log in around two to three weeks ago. I believe this problem has something to do with the WiFi at my dorm, as I can load and access the university website using the WiFi at my house. When I tried to load the website using my mobile phone's cellular data (without connecting to the dorm's WiFi) it was able to load. I asked my friend to do the same thing and she got the same result. The website was able to load if my friend used her phone's cellular data, but it won't load if she uses the dorm's WiFi. I thought that the problem was the university website server but my friend happens to live in an apartment and she was able to access the website using her apartment's wifi. I don't understand what's wrong since I can access other websites like Google, Gmail and Youtube just fine. As far as I can remember, I have never changed the connection settings in my browser and laptop. Is it possible that the WiFi at my dorm was blocked by the university's website? Please help me, I really need to do my assignments. Thank you.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

To see if your dorm's Wi-Fi has a problem connecting to the university site, as a dorm-mate to see if he has problems connecting. If he doesn't then the problem is with your laptop.

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Is your friend's apartment on the same network as yours or different?

2 reasons why you can't access the site is that you are being blocked, or DNS resolution is not working.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    It happens on multiple devices...

5. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

If you can get to the page using something like https://www.hidemyass.com/en-us/proxy to hide your IP Address, then yes, the website may be blocking access using your real IP Address.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227085

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice