Unable to Map Network Drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cdfrankel

I am trying to map a network drive at work to my computer at home using the tools menu in Windows explorer. For some reason, I keep getting a "network path cannot be found" error message. I can ping the server at work, and a friend was able to map the drive from their computer, so I assume there's a configuration problem on my home machine.

I'm running Windows 2000 Advanced server, sp2, and use Earthlink as my ISP. I've reset the cache using nbtstat and released and renewed IP addresses using ipconfig.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Thanks.

cdfrankel

Whenever it tells you that the server cannot be found, you should manually find the server from My Network Places(Network Neighborhood in 98).Once you find the server, locate the share and right click on it and select Map Network Drive.

If you still dont see it in My Netowrk Places, Computer Browser servies may not be installed.

Can you map to any netowrk resources?Is this a 100% tcp/ip connection?Check you tcp/ip settings(dhcp).

cdfrankel

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it didn't work. The server I'm trying to connect to is at work, not on my LAN, so it doesn't show up in My Network Places. When I use the Add a Place Wizard, the result is the same as when I use the Map a Network Drive Wizard in Windows Explorere: network path not found.

The network path, however, is correct, and I can ping the server.

Any other suggestions gratefully accepted.

cdfrankel

No.

The IT folks at work know I'm having a problem, but their solution at the moment is to tell me to bring in my cpu so they can check the configuration. I'm not there yet, but getting close.

A friend was able to map the drive to his homecomputer, so I'm reasonably sure it's something on my computer.

Max19

Account Disabled
Why don't you ask your friend what he did and see if he can do the same thing to your computer as he did on his.

cdfrankel

He's in New Jersey, and I'm in Florida. Besides, all he did is what I did -- map the network drive using the IP address and the share folder name. Only it worked on his computer. On mine, I get an error message. It seems like there's a dns issue, but my tcp/ip is configured correctly and, as I said, I can ping the server which I'm trying to connect to.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts