1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to Move Sent Messages in OE

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by cwilmot, Feb 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cwilmot

cwilmot Thread Starter

I attempted to move Sent msgs. from OE 6.0 to a separate drive using MSNs instructions but nothing happened except I lost the headers and dates of all the messages and I'm unable to delete any of them. Any suggestions?

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Chuck
    I believe the way OE file structure is constructed and its relationship to the registry is preventing you from moving just a single folders contents to another drive. One of the ways I move E-Mails for permanent storage elsewhere is Create a holding folder on the drive you wish to store the messages and drag\drop the messages from OE into that folder. When they are moved they will be assigned a .eml file extension which will open in OE when double clicked.

Also for review could you post the link to the article you read at MS concerning this issue.

Dave

3. cwilmot

cwilmot Thread Starter

Thanks, Dave. Here are the MS instructions for archiving messages:

To add a folder, click the File menu, point to New and then click Folder.
    In the Folder name text box, type in a folder name such as "Archived Hotmail Messages".
    Select Local Folders as the location to create the new folder, then click OK.
    Go to your Hotmail inbox folder in Outlook Express, select and highlight all messages you would like to store on your personal computer.
    Drag the set of messages to the folder you just created within Local Folders.
    The messages will be downloaded and transferred to your local computer.

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

Chuck
    Just as I figured. The instructions are limited to folders contained within the Identity set that is specified too location within the registry.
    For instance all your folders within OE are Identified and Located on a specific drive defined by you or defaulted C:\ Drive as a group and defined in the registry as Store Root under
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{DXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0] in StoreRoot label.

These cannot be split since the whole store is in one location.

In the attached you will see I have located my Store on a separate drive "E" instead of the default "C".

Dave

Attached Files:

5. cwilmot

cwilmot Thread Starter

Dave, I understand your drag & drop instructions up to a point: but how do you locate the source of your email messages from which you can drag & drop? Chuck

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

Chuck
    You caught me just as I was wrapping up for the night.:D
    Anyway Place your Holder folder shortcut or whatever you called it on your desktop high up. Now open OE. Once OE is open shrink it down to where you can see the Holder Folder shortcut. Now open folder in OE you wish to drag from. Left click hold E-Mail you wish to store elsewhere and drag it to the holder folder and drop.
    Simple as that.

Hope that explains it let us know.

Dave

7. cwilmot

cwilmot Thread Starter

Dave, I'm still having problems with my MSN mail. I continually get warnings that I'm about to overload the Server and I've moved everything from Folders on MSN to Folders on My Computer. They say that my Sent Messages are overloading the Server but I store them under Folders on My computer, too. You suggested dragging & dropping from Hotmail or OE to a folder on a separate drive but I can't seem to get both windows on the screen at the same time, side by side, so that I can drag & drop. How do you do that?

8. Davey7549

Davey7549

Chuck
    Here is a screenshot of what my setup looks like when I am moving items out of OE to the old E-mail folders for archive. The key is after you have moved them to a folder on your Hard Drive out of OE then you need to delete them from OE.

Dave

Attached Files:

9. cwilmot

cwilmot Thread Starter

Dave, It worked. Thanks for your help and patience with me. Now, having used MSN Hotmail also, I have some sub-folders there that I'd like to move to my other hard drive. The problem is that there is no "thumb tack" to lock the source window like there is in OE and when I click on the source file, or files, to drag, the receiving window disappears. Any suggestions? Chuck

Also is there any way of closing out the MSN Hotmail window completely and confining my email to OE? I like the latter so much better.

10. Davey7549

Davey7549

Chuck
    My familiarity is limited with Hotmail since I refuse to use it. Stubborn Me right..... but OE fills all my needs. You may want to create another thread to specifically target the hotmail question. I do believe there is a way of doing it but am unsure of the procedure. also I believe Hotmail can be directly downloaded to OE. Hopefully a hotmail person will pick up on your new thread.
    Eddie the new mod I know uses hotmail.

Dave

11. cwilmot

cwilmot Thread Starter

Thanks, again, Dave. I might ask you how you avoid using Hotmail. Don't the messages build up in the Inbox there even though you don't access it directly? Chuck

12. Davey7549

Davey7549

Chuck
    I use RoadRunner broadband as my ISP and they have thier own E-Mail servers I work through. Years ago when I had Juno they had their own also as most ISP's do.

Dave

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117698

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice