1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to network three computers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by stuarth, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stuarth

stuarth Thread Starter

Good evening. I have three computers attached to one router: a Gateway running Win98, a Dell also on Win98, and a Dell on XP professional. I have a Linksys router. I've tried to network them together, but cannot seem to accomplish this. I guess first, when asked for the preferred server after adding a client in the network, I don't know what server to stipulate; there are none listed, and I don't know how to add one (if needed). I guess what I am looking for are step by step instructions - a link to web site would be fine as a start, though I've gone onto Microsoft's and cannot seem to make headway there, either.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Stuarth

2. coulterp

coulterp

I'm not sure I know what you are trying to do when getting "when asked for the preferred server after adding a client in the network, I don't know what server to stipulate", because ithe process should almost be nothing more than plugging an Ethernet cable from PC to router - literally - in order to add a client PC to a network.

The http://www.wown.com/ site presents just about everything you could ever want to know about networking all Windows variants.

3. eddieb2k4

eddieb2k4

I have three computers on my home network, all of them on Win 2k - and I use the same (or similar) linksys router, and all I had to do was plug the machines to the router and it configured itself automatically. Perhaps you are going too deep into the setup process. Try and let the router assing an IP automatically, with DHCP enabled on all machines and see if that will work for you.

ED
    Ft. Lee, VA

4. stuarth

stuarth Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. Maybe I am over complicating this issue, but... if I try to find another computer that should be on the network (by going into network neighborhood), no other files/computers are found. That flashlight just keeps on sweeping back and forth. Also, if I try to access a printer on another computer, I can't do that either. I would have thought also that the networking would have occurred almost automatically, but, unless I am not looking at this the right way, it did not occur. Do you think it makes sense to somehow uninstall the router and then reinstall it? I would hate to do that, but I don't know what else to do.

Thanks,
    Stuarth

5. eddieb2k4

eddieb2k4

Okay...if you are looking for those computers from your Windows XP, you'll have to first set the proper permissions and policies for each of your windows 98 computers, allowing them to be seen from your XP machine. Go here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/getstarted/getsetup.mspx to get some assistance in setting up your Home Network with Windows XP. At least this should get you started in the right path. Good luck!

ED

6. Nohcrakrad

Nohcrakrad

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272634

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice