1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to open a specific site

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by jonwood45, Jul 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jonwood45

jonwood45 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have recently been having trouble opening a site (myspace) on my home PC (running with Windows XP), even though it works fine on my computer at work. The site doesn't open on my wife's laptop (running mac osx) either. I've tried Firefox, IE and Opera, but with no results. I've also tried putting the IP address for the site in, that doesn't work either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks

2. BillC

BillC

Are you using a firewall with Privacy blocking like Zone Alarm Pro?

3. jonwood45

jonwood45 Thread Starter

I'm using ZoneAlarm, but even with that shut down the site can't be accessed

4. BillC

BillC

What version of Zone Alarm are you using...ZA Free? Pro? Have you tried cleaning your browser cache after ZA is shutdown to see if you can then access the site? It could be your accessing a 'cached' page that had the Zone Alarm java insertion from a previous attempt.

5. jonwood45

jonwood45 Thread Starter

It's the free ZoneAlarm. I shut it down, cleared the cache, still no luck.

I don't think it has anything to do with my computer anyway, since it's not loading on my wife's laptop either.

6. TOGG

TOGG

If you are talking about myspace.com, it works perfectly in my copies of Opera and Firefox, so I assume the problem is limited to your computer?

I'm using Win 98 and free ZA. The IP address I got, using Steve Gibson's ID Serve tool, was 63.208.226.28, is that the one you tried?

Also, do you have a Hosts file, and is myspace included in it?

7. BillC

BillC

I too get it fine with Firefox, XP, and Zone Alarm. As TOGG suggested, check your host file. Also, might you have any other application blocking cookies?

8. jonwood45

jonwood45 Thread Starter

I don't have a hosts file (bar the sample one that windows includes)

It can't be my computer anyway, as I'm getting the same problem with the laptop, which means it must be something to do with our internet connection. No idea how to fix it though.

9. BillC

BillC

Can I assume the ISP you use at work is different then the one at home? I'd call your ISP and see what they have to say about it.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/379436

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice