1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable To Open Cd/floppy Drives

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MSIMS3, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MSIMS3

MSIMS3 Thread Starter

Please
    Suddenly my computer (windows xp/service pak2) will recognize my cd and floppy drives but after loading and trying to open either drive I get the message -- insert disk-. I have tried the trouble shooting stuff, opened the device manager ( which says everything is fine) but the computer will not recognize when a drive is already loaded. Can someone help please?
    Thanks
    Mike

2. mohit_arora2007

mohit_arora2007

Hi,

As you stated that the computer does not recognize the cds/floppy and you checked in device manager that everything is fine.
    Let me know for how long are you facing this issue.
    Did you add any new hardware/software in the computer.
    Try the following troubleshooting steps, it might work:
    Try different sets of floppies/cds.
    Reset the CD Drive cables.
    Check if the drive is detected in the BIOS.
    Restore BIOS defaults.
    if everything is fine and the issue is still not resolved., try the system restore.

3. MSIMS3

MSIMS3 Thread Starter

computer recognizes drives, device manager says everything is ok, but every time I try to open the drive I get the message --please insert disc-- tried several different discs,did system restore back to August still can't read the disc in the drive. can't think of any new programs I may have installed, ideas?
    Thanks
    Mike

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Opened as requested.

5. MSIMS3

MSIMS3 Thread Starter

I'm not sure how to check BIOS, but the problem has been going on for over a year. I just kept ignoring it but now I need to load a program and I need to use the cd drive. I deleted the drive, rebooted, computer reinstalled the drive but still will not read the cd.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!