Unable to open Control Panel

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Browntop2004

Help !!

I have a problem with an XP Home computer

I can appear to be able to open any window but when I try to access the control Panel I get a "Windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. we are sorry for the inconvenience"

Anyone got any ideas ? :confused:

Browntop2004

Thanks I have already ran adaware and spybot and done a full scan with AVG antivirus

but still no joy.

I have read that there is a fix for this problem that can be downloaded but not sure how successful/ reliable it is.

I don`t want to make matters worse

Browntop2004

Thanks Steve,
I`ve been sat here for the past three and half hours going through your list above and had almost given up hope while lastly trying the Stinger. When out of the blue AVG decides to announce that it has found two viruses. Why on earth it did`nt do that when I did a full scan with it yesterday I don`t know. Anyway, tried the Control Panel and, what do you know it opened and I was also able to open "Add/Remove Programs". It`s very late here now so will try Control panel again tomorrow and if it`s still working I will mark this thread "Solved".
Thanks very much for your help !!

Browntop2004

Oh dear ! Spent another three hours on here last night running scans, ensuring that there were no viruses or spyware on here, it now appears to be squeaky clean. Disabled the System Restore and rebooted the computer only to find that the Control Panel problem still exists.

It was looking so promising but now it appears that it`s not Virus or Spyware connected.

This is so frustrating, Sometimes I can`t get into the Control panel at all, then other times I can get into the Control Panel but when I try to open a part of it such as Add/Remove Programs or anything else, it fetches up the "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience".

For Your Information (in case it`s of any help)
Earlier in the week I booted from the windows CD and did a repair on the OS as it was impossible to start the computer.

HELP !!! :(

Now I did this on my PC and I have 98SE but you may be able to also do it on other OS's.

It adds the Control Panel to your start menu like in this image.
Just go to the taskbar properties and the start menu tab and click advanced.
Right click on the right pane and click new folder.
Now name it this here in bold Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}
Your only see Control Panel as the folder name as you can see in the image but you have to name the file Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}

Now you don't have to open the Control Panel to get to anything that is in the Control Panel.
I used this all the time to get to the things I need to get to

If it does not work then just delete the folder you made.

Attachments

First see if it will open in Safe Mode. If it does, then there is a 3rd party process causing a conflict. Troubleshoot that by "clean booting":

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310353

If it doesn't open in Safe Mode, do a search of the system32 folder for all *.cpl files and double click each to open them individually.

If any err's or doesn't open, rename the .cpl extension to .bad and replace it either from your I386 (use servicepackfiles\I386 if present) folder, if you have a copy -- or by removing and reinstalling the 3rd party software that installed it.

Browntop2004

HeWee,
Hey thanks for a really good suggestion. I wanted to fix it properly but having spent many hours struggling with the problem I decided to try your idea and although it had to be done a different way in XP, It Works !

Thanks a million.

I am going to continue battling with the problem but at least I now know that if I fail, there`s still a way and it`s an easy way. :)

For anyone that may be interested, the way I did it in XP was :

Taskbar -> Properties ->Start Menu tab ->Customize button ->Advanced tab ->"Control Panel to appear as a menu".

Glad it helped you out Browntop2004. I was not sure if it would or not even if it did work on XP because you may of had the very same trouble from it. But guess it made all new links for what is in the Control Panel so it did away with your trouble.

Now to get your other Control Panel fixed. Maybe what Rollin' Rog posted will help on that.

I have a similar problem but heewee solution does not work and i still get error message
I think the problem is with shell32.dll
have tried windows repair and above any help anyone please?
mark

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online