1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to open email attachments

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by survivor2005, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. survivor2005

survivor2005 Thread Starter

When I try to open file pdf or doc files attached to an email I get the following message: "Unable to open internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later." I have Windows 7, IE, Outlook.

2. Rockn

Rockn

Are the attachments actually .doc or .pdf files or are they links to files somewhere on the internet?

3. survivor2005

They are actually files that were attached, not links.

4. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

Do you have Adobe Reader (needed to view .pdf file attachments) or Word Reader (needed to view .doc attachments) on your computer? If not, you will need to download and install those. Both readers are free.

5. survivor2005

I have Adobe Reader and Word.

6. Rockn

Rockn

How about saving the file to your C drive and opening from there? Can that be done?

7. survivor2005

When I try to download the attachments to try to save the files, I get the same message.

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You get the same error when saving the files? Or you get the same error after you save the files and then try to open them from your hard drive?

What is the file extension? Can you open other Word and PDF files? I have a feeling these "attachments" are not actually data files. Have you talked to the sender? What happens if you create a new Word document (I assume you have Word installed), save it, and e-mail it to yourself?

9. survivor2005

When I recieve an email with a .pdf file or .doc file, I click on the attachment, then I am prompted to click on download. After I click on download, I get the option to save or open. When I click on save, I get the same error message that I get if I click on open. When I email the files to another computer, I can open them just fine. I do have Word and Adobe Reader installed and they work just fine. When I get back to work on Monday, I will see what happens if I try to email them to myself. I did email them from my work computer to my home computer and was able to open them at home. They are good files. I appreciate everyone's help with this. I can't do my job if I don't figure this out.

10. survivor2005

I emailed myself files that I know are good files and I get the same error message. I included an Excel file too and it didn't open either.

11. Rockn

Rockn

I guess we have not determined the version of Outlook that is having the issue. Does your email provider also have a web interface where you can access your email through?

12. survivor2005

Now you are going to see how stupid I really am when it comes to computers. I assumed that since I use Windows Internet Explorer that I was using Outlook. How can I see what version I am using? I am also not sure what you mean by a web interface. My email is through Yahoo.

13. Rockn

Rockn

You stated Outlook in your initial post so I assumed as did everyone else that you were using Outlook as your email client. Since it is an issue with Yahoo I would assume that maybe there is an Add-on that may need to be disabled in your browser or some other browser related issue causing your problem.

14. survivor2005

I am very sorry for that statement.

How do I find and disable an Add-on?

15. survivor2005

I am very sorry for that statement.

How do I find and disable an Add-on?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026294

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice