1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to open Image Files

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Ribblehead, Mar 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ribblehead

Ribblehead Thread Starter

I have folders with image files on a CD. For some reason in the last few days some files in one folder and all files in another will not open, all other files/folders open fine (including about 6 in the part folder) all files are the same, ( JPEG image ( .jpg ) nothing I have tried will open the rogue ones including Gimp and Infanview. Can anyone help please. ?

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

Have you tried copying those folders to the PC first then try to open from there?

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    What's the brand of CD .. And how long have the pics been on the CD ???
    This is what I'm thinking

4. Ribblehead

1. Yes, copied some to my PC and the same problem.
    2. TDK, about two years.

5. CleaverX

CleaverX

well have a real good look at the cd itself, look for scratches and scuff marks; these usually can be buffed out. If you are confident that the cd surface is fine, place the cd in a different cd rom drive and see if you have any better luck. If you keep having the same issue no matter what computer you use, then the files themselves are degraded.

6. wilsonaron

wilsonaron

First try to copy the all files in your pc and then try , if they still not open then try other device to load cd and also try to clean the disc.

7. Ribblehead

So just to confirm, Approx 1000 images in folders on disc, approx. 30 images unable to open (not all in same folder) when folders opened and properties enquiry made PC knows the image file is there and the title and the correct size of the file, disc approx. 2 years old, copied to PC, same problem, checked and cleaned disc, tried disc on other devices including Photographic shops machines, no luck.

8. CleaverX

CleaverX

9. Ribblehead

Thanks for suggestion, tried that and it found files but am still unable to open/view them.

10. CleaverX

CleaverX

Well you may want to try a different solution, but in the end we are not dealing with magnetic media, so options for repair are very limited.

Good luck

11. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    If you are using a newer OS computer (W7, W8) you may want to try it on Windows XP to see if you might have some better luck. If you don't have an old computer you may want to ask one of your relatives or friends to borrow their computer. Maybe you might have a little luck.

12. bluebedouin

bluebedouin

Are you able to see a thumbnail pic?Are there any punctuation marks or spaces in any of the file names?
    I had a couple the other day that had a semi-colon & a space in the name that wouldn't open,as soon as I deleted those they opened fine.I can only assume that my fingers hit two keys together.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145212

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice