1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to open microsoft office

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by dan2004, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dan2004

dan2004 Thread Starter

Hi
    I may have deleted some sort of association to access microsoft office program. Also the same thing with Outlook Express but I just downloaded another one from the internet (outlook express). My computer (Compaq) came with the program so I don't have the cd to reload the program.
    When I try to open the Office it says there is no program for this but I have found office files with the search.
    Any help would be appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Dan2004
    P.S. Hoping I don't have to buy the cd!!!!!!

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome.

If you go to start, run, then type winword, does Word open?

3. dan2004

dan2004 Thread Starter

Hi
    Tks for replying
    I just tried this and no it won't open and the error message says "no application installed Please run setup from the location of original installation.

4. ~Candy~

Well, unfortunately, you are going to need the installation cd to fix what you've broken. If it came preinstalled on the Compaq, you still should have an application cd.

5. dan2004

dan2004 Thread Starter

Hi
    I still have the folder for office in my computer and it has 120 mb of info in it, when I try to open it, it says to create an association in the folders options control panel, unfortunatly I don't know how to do that. Any ideas. I don't have the install cd.

6. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

<>when I try to open it<>

OPen what winword.exe?????????

7. ~Candy~

If you don't have the file winword.exe on your computer, you can try to create an association until the cows come home.

Whatever you deleted was important.

Office and/or each individual program (not sure what came pre-installed) will need to be re-installed from a cd.

8. pfurball

pfurball

Post a query on the Microsoft site and with your Compaq site. They may be able to give you some information to help or send you the relevent file you are missing.

9. dan2004

dan2004 Thread Starter

Thanks I will post a note on their sites.

10. scottcrumple

scottcrumple

It's been a while since I've had any experience with Compaq's setup (because I'm no longer in the computer repair business), but they used to put their software backups on a "Compaq" labeled CD. I think Gateway did this too. You may want to look for that disc. It may not say Office on it, but if you drop the CD in the drive, an option to repair your Office installation may be there.

Another thing to try is to do a search for winword.exe. You may have accidentally moved it. Click the start button, then search, then do a search for that exact file name on the whol computer (all hard drives). If you find it somewhere, just drag and drop it back into the "Office" folder where it belongs. This is a long shot, but it's possible you accidentally moved it somewhere, so it's worth a try.

Good luck,
    Scott

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272762

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice