1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to open PDF files from browser

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by DMIS, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DMIS

DMIS Thread Starter

Recently I have been unable to open PDF files from both Explorer and Firefox browsers. I get an Acrobat PlugIn message saying that
    "The Adobe Acrobat/Reader running cannot be used to view PDF files in a web browser....
    I sometimes get a related message saying that I should use the Adobe Reader version 8 or 9.
    I had version 5 before and when I first got this message I downloaded version 9. But it does not appear to have worked.

Has anybody else struck this problem & can help with a solution. TX.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Uninstall all versions of Adobe Reader that you have installed. Do you have any other Adobe Acrobat products installed besides Reader? After removing everything, restart your computer, and then reinstall Adobe Reader 9. I'm assuming you're running Windows XP or Vista. If not, install the most recent supported version for your operating system.

3. eric996

eric996

I agree with DoubleHelix. Make sure to uninstall all versions and restart before updating to the most recent version.

Also, in Adobe Reader go to Edit >> Preferences. This will bring up a preferences box. On the left hand side go to Internet and make sure Display PDF in browser is checked as well as Allow fast web view. I had this issue and made sure that was checked and it solved it. I am using Reader 8.

Hope this helps!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756478

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice