unable to open web pages

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sfrancis1

I can connect online, but cannot open pages when I click. Dns error window pops up. I reinstalled the software several times but it did not fix the problem. Please help!

I have been thinking about your problem and it sounds like something as simple as an internet setting, like a proxy setting and the like. A little more info though would help me and others here help you. What O/S are you using? (i.e. Win98, a WinME, etc etc) What version of Internet Explorer of Netscape?? When you say you have re-installed the software, what software are you installing? Please post back, thanks.

sfrancis1

I'm using internet explorer 5.5 & I have windows 98 second edition. The software is Dotnow, a free internet service that I've been using a long time.

sfrancis1, welcome to the board.

I'm going to move your thread to the Web forum where we have had others of a similar nature, including this one:

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57019

Have you installed or uninstalled any programs just prior to this? There are bundled programs such as Webhancer, and Newnet which alter Windows Winsock entries in the registry.

Do you or have you had either of those listed as a startup file when you run msconfig and look under the "startup" tab?

This MS link provides the most thorough approach to troubleshooting:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q241/3/44.ASP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online