unable to open word document

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wcopel

I have a friend who is unable to open a doc. that he has been working on for a couple of weeks. He is using microsoft works and he says he saved the doc. after each use but now when he tries to open the doc. he gets the message that works is unable to open this program and that the file may be corrupted. This happen to him once before. Any suggestions as to how to open this doc. Thanks

He can try to change the extension of the file from .doc to .txt and open in with Word Pad. However, he'll lose all formatting. He'll still be able to view/copy/paste the actually data, though. He'll just have to reformat it in Word again. It's worth a try, anyway.

Luck!

~Eric

wcopel

Thanks I will tell him to try your suggestion, This the second time this happem to him. What can cause something like this?

Where is he saving the files that are getting corrupted? Floppy? Hard drive? CD?

wcopel

I'm not at his computer. But could you explain what is nomal.dot. Thanks

Click on the link Rollin' Rog gave you in his post, it explains all about normal.dot.
http://www.officearticles.com/word/about_normal_dot_in_microsoft_word.htm

Your friend should be saving any valuable documents to a backup as well, any file that gets opened and saved a lot is always open to corruption. Nothing is perfect.

Even "saving as" a different name is better than no backup, as it creates a separate file just with a different name.

Saving a copy every day to a CD or a removeable USB drive or memory device is preferred.

I have to agree with Kiwiguy 110%! I tell folks to NEVER, NEVER keep important data on the hard drive. I've seen too many fail over the years. Removable media, even simple floppies, are less volatile that hard drives.

At one stage I lost 4 hard drives in 4 years to "natural causes".
Some were replaced under warranty, but the data is the user's responsibility.

I back up all important data daily.

I have to disagree about floppy disks though. While a great deal better than no backup, the present reliability of floppy disks is appaling. As they are seldom used now, the quality has reduced with the volume produced. Its not uncommon to have 2 fail in a new box of 10.

Yes, sadly that is true about floppies these days. I still find them convenient for some things, but I usually back them up in triplicate (they're cheap, after all ;) ). Important items and my system back-ups go on CD, though. I also use a ZIP drive, which I've never had any problems with in the nearly 6 years that I've been using them on numerous systems.

Everyone's method of backing up and protecting their important data will be different. The important thing is to have some method, and stick to it religiously.

Be good...

~Eric

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online