1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to partition drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cassis, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cassis

Cassis Thread Starter

I recently bought a Seagate Barracuda 80gb. My computer is a Compaq Presario 5640 with Windows 98.
    I want to partition the drive into two equal parts but it seems impossible. I've used Partition Magic, Disc Wizard and Partition Expert. Every time with the same result: The second partition disappears. Directly after I partitioned the drive it seemed to work and I started saving data to partition 1. However, when I opened partition 2, some folders with really strange names (like "s_i´´98%&/") had been created all by itself. When I
    restarted the computer partition 2 was gone and there was no sign of it. There was only a partition 1 ( 38 gb).
    I wrote to Seagate Support and they told me to:
    - Use their program Seatools to check the condition of the drive.
    - Low Level Format/Zero fill the drive and only use Disc Wizard.
    - Use DiscWizard to setup the drive and choose to create two partitions.
    - Make sure that my file systems are the same, Fat32 .

I did exactly as they said and it seemed to work for about one day, but then the same thing happened again. I started saving data to the first partition and then the second partition
    "disappeared" and couldn't be reached. (It seems to happen when the drive reaches about 20 gb of saved data.)
    I run Windows 98 on another drive and I wonder if there could be some problem with Windows? Or could it be my motherboard or something?

Seagate Support now suggests that I should replace the drive because it may be broken. But I don't want to do that in case the same problem occurs with a new drive.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Did you use the SeaTools to check the condition of the drive. If there is a hardware problem with the drive, it should show up with that.

3. Cassis

Cassis Thread Starter

Yes, I used Seatools as Seagate Support told me to. No hardware problems showed up, but Seagate Support thought that there might be a hardware problem in spite of the test.
    I don't believe them though.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170393

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice