Unable to perform WindowsUpdate

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Blechy

A few days ago I was browsing the internet (wink), and randomly my desktop background changed to an image of a fake virus alert. Also, many security-related sites were blocked, and clicking on any google results redirected me to various advertising sites. Only a couple weeks prior I had this same virus, which I believe to be Smitfraud, and resolved it by running the MalwareBytes program. When I tried to do this this time, however, the program froze immediately upon starting the scan.
An additional symptom I had was when I would start up Windows, I would get the "the computer is shutting down due to a problem with windows/system32/lsass.exe" error. If I started up in safe mode I would get the same problem, only the problematic file would be services.exe. Also I had no taskbar in safe mode. The only attempt at fixing this I really made was downloading and running SmitFraudFix.exe, but all that seemed to do was delete my Firefox bookmarks which I promptly restored.

At any rate, I could not solve this problem, so I repaired(not reinstalled) windows. Upon completing repair I ran a windows update like any sane person would, but it was unable to connect. I downloaded the manual SP3 installer and ran it, but got an access denied error. I ran AdAware & MalwareBytes successfully(both were still fully updated definitions) and they removed stuff, and I was able to connect to Windows Update, but after attempting to download the WindowsUpdate file(not the actual windows updates, but the updated WindowsUpdate if you catch my drift) I got an "Access is Denied" error, with error code 0x80070005. I repaired windows again, but the same exact pattern happened.

I tried looking for existing solutions. Some recommended to change the permissions in registry files of WindowsUpdate to allow Full Control. Did that, didn't work. I tried downloading and running the MGADiag.exe program to authenticate Windows or whatever, didn't work. Tried doing the above in safe mode, didn't work. One link recommended to enable verbose logging in logs and trying to reinstall. I did that, and here is what I believe to be the pertinent information:

setupapi.log
#-086 Deleting registry value "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NetSh\FWCFG"
@ 23:49:00.562 #V033 Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.
#-086 Deleting registry value "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\AppCompatibility\AppCompatCache"
#-007 Deleting registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Safeboot\Network\ip6fw.sys
#-007 Deleting registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Safeboot\Network\ipnat.sys
#-007 Deleting registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Safeboot\Network\SharedAccess
#-007 Deleting registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Setup
#-007 Deleting registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\LastKnownGoodRecovery\LastGood
#-086 Deleting registry value "HKCR\CLSID\{FC7D9E02-3F9E-11d3-93C0-00C04F72DAF7}\InstalledVersion\-"
@ 23:49:00.906 #V033 Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.
#-086 Deleting registry value "HKCR\CLSID\{FC7D9E02-3F9E-11d3-93C0-00C04F72DAF7}\InstalledVersion\C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\HelpCtr.exe"
@ 23:49:00.984 #V033 Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.

svcpack.log
639.953: PruneCatalogsFromHotfixes:RegQueryValueEx Failed: 0x2
639.953: Num Ticks for Copying files : 329594
639.953: DoRegistryUpdates:SetupInstallFromInfSection Failed for ProductInstall.GlobalRegistryChanges.Install error: 0x5
639.953: INF_REGISTRY Failed
639.953: DoInstallationo:DRegistryUpdates failed
656.422: Unregistration of sprecovr successful
656.625: Access is denied.
666.969: Message displayed to the user: Access is denied.

I am completely out of ideas and I've tried everything which I could findworked for other people. Let me know if you'd like me to post the entire logs. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, otherwise it looks like it's a format(or new computer purchase) soon.

Blechy

I'm not sure how that didn't show up in my millions of searches. I performed that and ran the SP2 installer. It crashed before it was almost done, so I restarted sure it didn't work, but it wound up I was actually on SP2. I was also able to use autoupdate. I could install the various security updates, but if I tried SP3 I still got an Access Denied error, heh. Whatever, a fully updated SP2 is good enough for me.

Thanks!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online