1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to play ANY media

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by ChristopherASA, Feb 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ChristopherASA

ChristopherASA Thread Starter

I've an HP-500f running Win 7 service pack 1. I am unable to play *any* videos (MP4), .mp3, or .flv files with *any* of the media programs I've got, which includes: Windows Media Player; VLC Media Player; GOM Player; and RealPlayer Cloud.

The error message I get with .MP4s with each of the above media players is " 'X' Player has stopped ." With .mp3 files I get a similar message or nothing.

I have no idea where to start with this.

There are only 324 shopping days till Christmas. :) Have a great day, and thanks.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm going to assume you actually have a HP Pavilion Elite HPE-500f Desktop PC which came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
    What type of media are those video(MP3, MP4, FLV, etc.) files in?

Do you have the same problem when playing them in another computer?

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. ChristopherASA

You've got the computer version correct. All those video and music files are just that: files in a directory on my computer (does that answer your question?). Re "Do you have the same problem ..." Just burned some sample files (video and audio) to a DVD and will take it over to my neighbors today to see if they play on her comp. Will be back later, sir. Thanks for responding, Frank!

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You might want to add and save that HP site in your browser's favorites/bookmarks list so you can quickly refer to it when needed.
    That's one way of determining if there's an issue with your video/audio files or with your disc drive.
    Do original movie/music discs play okay?

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. ChristopherASA

Well ...................... this is truly weird. Took some files over to a friends to see if my files would play on their comp. The mp4's did but didn't have any mp3's to try, so came *back* to my place to copy some mp3's for a wider test, and ..................... after four months of none of this working, all of a sudden I can play .mp3's and .mp4's.

Truly weird. .Flv files are not working yet, but at least I made progress; either that or **you're** a wizard of some kind, Frank. :) Any suggestions you might have about the .flv's not playing would be appreciated.

THANK YOU!

6. ChristopherASA

Well, now the flv's are working. YOU ARE AMAZING, FRANK!!!!!!

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm definitely not a wizard and don't know why they didn't play before but are playing now, but I'm glad to hear you got the issue resolved. (y)

I personally have never burned MP3 or MP4 or FLV files to discs and then played them.

-------------------------------------------------------------

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1165553

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice