1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to play Enhanced CD's

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by markoz12, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. markoz12

markoz12 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have a Piodata DVD DVR108DX drive and I am unable to play Enchanced Cd's. My computer will only read the audio part.
    I have the latest update for the DVD drive.
    I am running Windows XP.
    Any ideas?
    Thank you,
    Mark.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Are you able to navigate through the contents of the disc with Windows Explorer? If you have autoplay enabled of the drive, try holding down the shift key on the keyboard while inserting the disc in the drive. Keep holding down the key until the drive's front panel activity light goes out. You should then be able to Explore, not Open, the disc.

3. johnpost

johnpost

i think xp has autoplay fixed as the only behavior.
    so it can't be turned off and the shift key method
    is all you can do.

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I have it permanently disabled on two different computers running Windows XP home. I believe you reed to use something like TweakUI or a registry edit to permanently stop autoplay in XP.

Looks like MS killed the shift key temporary bypass trick in Vista but lets you turn it off completely.

Windows Vista / AutoPlay: frequently asked questions
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/7e1fe788-0747-4e00-895b-c3461b1ddd971033.mspx

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Yep, I have autoplay turned off on this system, and it never starts for any media I stick in the CD/DVD drive.

6. markoz12

markoz12 Thread Starter

I'll try a few of the suggestions but if I explore the CD I only see the audio tracks. Nothing else.
    It's as if the enhanced section does not exist.
    I'll try out the suggestions and see what happens.
    Thank you.

7. markoz12

markoz12 Thread Starter

No, no good! Still the same.
    If I explore the disc it only shows me the audio tracks. No video's.

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    From what I have read, an Enhanced audio CD is a multi-session disc that has a CD-ROM XA data track in the second session. I am a bit confused by the DVR-108DX specifications. They show support for reading CD-ROM XA discs but seem to also suggest that the only type of multi-session disc they can read are Photo CDs. :confused:

Maybe somebody else on TSG can decipher the DVR-108DX specifications and let us know if the unit can correctly access all of an Enhanced Audio CD.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538213

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice