1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to power computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by marine6, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marine6

marine6 Thread Starter

Im in the process of building a computer (my first) anyways Im running into all sorts of problems. At the moment I cannot power up the computer. I checked several times the case leads (speakers, power, hdd, led) all are as they should be however When I power up the computer runs maybe 10 seconds before shutting down. I power up again this time it powers up for maybe 5 seconds, I try again then maybe 1 second. Any ideas??? checked the case open jumper and its where it should be.... I have a gigabyte motherboard 8Nxp :confused:

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

It almost sounds like the CPU is overheating. Are you sure you installed the heatsink correctly?

3. marine6

marine6 Thread Starter

that was another issue, took it off, cleaned the cpu but did not reinstall heatsink/fan,

4. marine6

marine6 Thread Starter

but let me ask, aonly after 10 sec total run time the cpu gets that hot??

5. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Depends on the CPU, but yes, it's possible. Some have built in protection which triggers a shutdown when it reaches a specific temp. Depends which CPU you have.

Also, if the heatsink fan isn't plugged into the motherboard, the BIOS may be set to shutdown when it detects no fan.

6. marine6

marine6 Thread Starter

thanks ill give it a shot....

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

CPU could destroy itself in 10 seconds (or less) with no fan or heatsink!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326058

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice