1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to print on the network printer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by pcprince, Nov 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcprince

pcprince Thread Starter

Hello All,

This is my first Post on this forum and i would like to ask for help on an irritating issue of a network printer.

I am a system administrator in Thomas Cook Goa location and in one of our branch there is a shared printer on a
    particular hostname. Now here's the problem ...

All sharing ralated settings have been done in the Antivirus and firewall to which the printer is connected to.
    the other computers can ping this PC, but when i try to type \\follewed by hostname or ip address I get an error message
    saying that i do not have permissions to access the location.

The printer sharing pc was on win 7 and the other was on XP so i installed win 7 on the other pc also but still no luck...

Any advice??

Thanx in advance

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    On the host PC is the network designated Home or Work or Public?

In Network and Sharing Center - Change advanced sharing options - for the appropriate section what are the various settings?

3. pcprince

pcprince Thread Starter

I will check and revert tomorrow

4. pcprince

pcprince Thread Starter

The Network is designated as work...

5. bobthehippy

bobthehippy

Sounds like a permissions issue. Is the network a workgroup or domain? Does the user you are logged on as have permissions to view the host PC?
    Double-check the permissions under Sharing and under Security on the host PC.
    Try disabling the firewall as well.

6. pcprince

pcprince Thread Starter

Dear bob,

I had doubts of permission issues initially but see, both the host and the client pc are on a corporate domain and printer is set to be shared with everyone...

Also regarding checking the firewall settings, the firewall settings are managed by domain administrators and i have checked with them and they are saying that they have allowed network printing...

Any other suggestions??

Thanx

7. bobthehippy

bobthehippy

As a test, can you temporarily create a share on the C drive of the PC that has the printer.
    Set Share permissions to Everyone full access, and check that the Security permissions have Everyone full access.

Then try and access it from the other PC.

Also, what is the exact error message that you get when you are refused access?

And have you checked the logs on the PC that has the printer for any clues.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1138335

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice