Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unable to reach login screen on startup

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Officer Dibble 
#1 ·
Whenever I start up my computer now it starts up as normal, except that after the windows logo on the black screen with the bar at the bottom dissapears it doesn't go to the login screen. It just stays as a black screen. I can get the computer to start up in all three safe modes, but I can't get the computer to get to the login screen starting normally. I have tried system restoring to yesterday but that didn't work either. I haven't installed anything since yesterday so I don't know what the problem is. Anybody know what the problem might be?

#2 ·
Have you tried doing a System Restore to last week?

When in Safe Mode you can try running check disk to check your hard drives for errors. Go Start>Run and type chkdsk /r. You will need to restart your PC for this to run on boot. Make a note of any errors.

#3 ·
It's unlikely that it's a disk problem. I wouldn't start there tbh. But I'm not always right. :)

If you can get in through safe mode, do you know how to check event viewer? It's possibly a rogue driver or an attached USB device it isn't happy with.

Before you do anything else, just disconnect any externally attached devices except your mouse and keyboard. If it works after this then you know there is some attachment that XP isn't happy with - let us know what you had hooked up, please.

When you login in via safe mode, click on Start then Run. Type the following without the quotes: 'eventvwr'

Just look in the Applications list and then the System list. Are there any error's reported? If there are give us a general idea of what they are saying, this said the more specific the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.